Want to highlight a helpful answer? Upvote!

Did someone help you, or did an answer or User Tip resolve your issue? Upvote by selecting the upvote arrow. Your feedback helps others! Learn more about when to upvote >

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

2011 iMac won't restart or shutdown plus disc will not eject.

I have a 2011 iMac updated to 10.10.2 OSX Yosemite. Processor 3.1 GHz Intel Core i5. RAM 16GB 1333 MHz DDR3. Graphics AMD Radeon HD 6970M 1024 MB.

After the update to Yosemite, my computer will not shutdown properly or restart. All that happens is that I get a grey screen and processing wheel spins in the middle. I've let it run like that for 24hrs just to be sure it's not really working to shut down. Not sure what to do at this point. Restart does the same thing. I have baked up my content with disk utility and tried to do the Disk Recovery, but can't seem to get that to work with the keyboard command.

My disc will not eject either. I will not read what is on the disk, nor will it eject.

Please help!

-Thank you

iMac (27-inch Mid 2011), OS X Yosemite (10.10.2)

Posted on Mar 27, 2015 11:52 AM

2 replies

Mar 27, 2015 11:58 AM in response to bentraveling

Five ways to eject a stuck CD or DVD from the optical drive

Ejecting the stuck disc can usually be done in one of the following ways:

1. Restart the computer and after the chime press and hold down the

left mouse button until the disc ejects.

2. Press the Eject button on your keyboard.

3. Click on the Eject button in the menubar.

4. Press COMMAND-E.

5. If none of the above work try this: Open the Terminal application in

your Utilities folder. At the prompt enter or paste the following:

/usr/bin/drutil eject

If this fails then try this:

Boot the computer into Single-user Mode. At the prompt enter the same command as used above. To restart the computer enter "reboot" at the prompt without quotes.

If you have updated your model for full Internet Recovery: Computers that can be upgraded to use OS X Internet Recovery.

Install or Reinstall OS X from Scratch

Be sure you backup your files to an external drive or second internal drive because the following procedure will remove everything from the hard drive.

Boot to the Recovery HD:

Restart the computer and after the chime press and hold down the COMMAND and R keys until the menu screen appears. Alternatively, restart the computer and after the chime press and hold down the OPTION key until the boot manager screen appears. Select the Recovery HD and click on the downward pointing arrow button.

Erase the hard drive:

1. Select Disk Utility from the main menu and click on the Continue button.

2. After DU loads select your startup volume (usually Macintosh HD) from the

left side list. Click on the Erase tab in the DU main window.

3. Set the format type to Mac OS Extended (Journaled.) Optionally, click on

the Security button and set the Zero Data option to one-pass. Click on

the Erase button and wait until the process has completed.

4. Quit DU and return to the main menu.

Reinstall OS X: Select Reinstall OS X and click on the Install button.

Note: You will need an active Internet connection. I suggest using Ethernet if possible

because it is three times faster than wireless.

This should install the version of OS X that you had installed.

2011 iMac won't restart or shutdown plus disc will not eject.

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.