Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

unable to connect to airport extreme

I have recently bought a reconditioned (from Apple) Airport Extreme, and MacBook Pro (OS X 10.10).

I have an external hard drive plugged in to the drive. My iOS and OS X devices are losing connection to the Airport. I fixed it once, but am looking for a more permanent solution please.

AirPort Extreme 802.11n (5th Gen)

Posted on Mar 27, 2015 12:53 PM

24 replies

Mar 27, 2015 1:04 PM in response to aproven

I have an external hard drive plugged in to the drive

I will guess that you meant to say that you have an external hard drive plugged into the USB port of the AirPort Extreme.....or....a network hard drive plugged into one of the Ethernet ports? Could you clarify on that please?

My iOS and OS X devices are losing connection to the Airport

The iOS and OS X devices are losing connection to the AirPort? Or, to the hard drive that told us about?

iOS devices connect using wireless, but OS X devices might be connecting using wireless or Ethernet. A bit more clarification would help.

I fixed it once

Not sure what you mean by "it" here. You fixed the AirPort Extreme....or....you fixed the hard drive? Could you provide a few more details on how you fixed whichever device that you fixed?

Mar 27, 2015 1:27 PM in response to aproven

but airport utility can't connect to Airport Extreme.

The most common cause of this is incorrect IPv6 settings on your Mac and/or the AirPort Extreme.

Yosemite....if that is what you are using....has a number of network bugs, so one single solution will not solve all problems. But, the iPv6 correction should help keep the AirPort from disappearing in AirPort Utility.

On each Mac......

Open System Preferences (gear icon on the dock)

Open Network

Click on WiFi on the left panel to highlight it

Click Advanced at the lower right of the window

Click the TCP/IP tab

Make sure that the setting for Configure IPv6 is set to Link Local Only

Click OK

Click Apply

With the network window still open

Click on Ethernet on the left panel to highlight it

Click Advanced

Click the TCP/IP tab

Make sure that the settting for Configure IPv6 is set to Link Local Only

Click OK

Click Apply

Close the windows and restart the Mac

Then, repeat the same thing on each Mac that might be running Lion, Mountain Lion, Mavericks or Yosemite

Post back when that task is done, and we will check the IPv6 settings on the AirPort Extreme.

Mar 27, 2015 1:53 PM in response to aproven

Laptops checked? Or do you mean that you changed the IPv6 settings?

Open up AirPort Utility

Click on the AirPort Extreme icon

Click Edit in the smaller window

Click the Internet tab at the top of the window

Click the Internet Options button near the bottom

Make sure that the setting for Configure IPv6 is set to Link Local Only

Click Save

Click Update at the lower right and give the AirPort a minute to restart

Mar 27, 2015 2:47 PM in response to aproven

Keep the name of the AirPort Extreme very short and simple.....something like Extreme, for example

Avoid anything with blank spaces, and special characters like an apostrophe for example, something like

Aproven's Red Apple AirPort Extreme

would be a very poor choice.

Same thing for the name of the wireless network. Needs to be short and simple, no blank spaces, no special characters

aprovenwireless

Would be a good example for the name of the wireless network

Otherwise, we have to wait for more bug fixes from Apple.

Mar 27, 2015 3:16 PM in response to aproven

Did the hard drive work before and now does not appear.....or....are you trying to get the drive to work with the AirPort Extreme for the first time?

Temporarily, connect the drive directly to your Mac and wait for a minute for the drive icon to mount on the desktop.

Right-Click on the drive icon

Click Get Info

Look at the window that will appear, probably on the left side of the desktop

Look for the General heading, then look for Format about 4 items down

What is the format?

Mar 27, 2015 3:22 PM in response to Bob Timmons

Yes it worked fine before (wired, and wireless through airport prior to Yosemite upgrade).

Format showing as:

Mac OS Extended (Case-sensitive, Journaled)

I don't know why (it's never happened before) but now when I click on the Hard Drive in finder it says: "The folder “Time Machine Backups” can’t be opened because you don’t have permission to see its contents."

unable to connect to airport extreme

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.