Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Is my graphics card going down? Imac 27" 2009

Hi,

My iMac booted up nicely. Graphics during boot up looked fine. But then this is what is shown.

1. Apple main menu is not readable.

2. A finder window, but no left menus

3. Settings window. Plain black

4. Quick search is just a rainbow mash

User uploaded file

I've tried to take pics on the strange things shown on screen.

Any idea what to do? Is my graphics card giving up?

If so, is it worth fixing or is it time for a new iMac?

Regards

linnnet

iMac, iOS 8.2, 27" late 2009

Posted on Mar 27, 2015 1:44 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Mar 27, 2015 2:00 PM

Care to share which OS you are using? iOS is for mobile devices. Having the correct OS listed will help in offering troubleshooting suggestions. Please correct your system profile.

The following are just basic troubleshooting suggestions until you provide the above.

http://support.apple.com/kb/HT1379Resetting your Mac's PRAM and NVRAM

Run Apple Hardware Test

Regarding your screen shots (thank you), I noticed you have a cluttered desktop which may cause you problems down the road. If you have a lot of files on the Desktop, it will slow down your Mac; if you have Show Icon Preview checked in the View options, it will slow it down even more. Check out the following article: 9 Tricks to Ease a Cluttered Mac Desktop

8 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Mar 27, 2015 2:00 PM in response to linnnet

Care to share which OS you are using? iOS is for mobile devices. Having the correct OS listed will help in offering troubleshooting suggestions. Please correct your system profile.

The following are just basic troubleshooting suggestions until you provide the above.

http://support.apple.com/kb/HT1379Resetting your Mac's PRAM and NVRAM

Run Apple Hardware Test

Regarding your screen shots (thank you), I noticed you have a cluttered desktop which may cause you problems down the road. If you have a lot of files on the Desktop, it will slow down your Mac; if you have Show Icon Preview checked in the View options, it will slow it down even more. Check out the following article: 9 Tricks to Ease a Cluttered Mac Desktop

Mar 27, 2015 2:18 PM in response to linnnet

Thanks. Here are some more suggestions in case my previous ones do not work:

Option key>Finder>Go>Library>Preferences. Trash the com.apple.finder.plist file, repair permissions & restart your computer.

Run OS Recovery

Disconnect all devices from your computer except for the keyboard & mouse.

Boot up from your computer by holding down the command+r keys. This will take you to the recovery drive.

Select Disk Utility & hit Return.

In Disk Utility select the HD on the left & click on Repair Disk (bottom right).

When you reach the desktop after doing the above, again repair permissions & restart your computer.

Take your Mac to your local Apple Store or an AASP. Diagnostic testing is FREE!

Other OOW options:

How to save money on Mac repairs with your credit card’s extended warranty

User uploaded file

Mar 27, 2015 2:34 PM in response to Baby-Boomer-USofA

Thanks alot for taking the time!

* Apple hardware test : I could not even get it to start since I could not even see what the dialogue boxes said.

* Same as above regarding thrashing the com.apple.finder.plist file. I could not even orientate myself in my FInder window.

* Good news is I managed to enter the Disc utility with command+r. And in here everything looks sharp. No traces what so ever of a defect graphic card.

* Unfortunately the result after restaring is exactly the same as earlier...

Is my graphics card going down? Imac 27" 2009

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.