Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

HIGHLIGHTING A WORD

Hello would someone point me in the right/correct direction please?😕

I am using MacBook, OS X Yosemite (10.10.12)

I have only recently downloaded iBook Author..

Not to write a book, but but because I am Dyslexic.

I have ascertained how I can 'shadow'/ 'shade'’/,'background' colour a word'; but not how to highlight a word?😕

I have done lots of research (Google support etc) but to no avail!😢

I look forward to hearing from you and thank you in advance

Corinne

MacBook, OS X Yosemite (10.10.2)

Posted on Mar 27, 2015 12:08 PM

13 replies

Mar 27, 2015 3:30 PM in response to corinnefromhersham

corinnefromhersham wrote:

Not to write a book, but but because I am Dyslexic.

Can you explain what you mean by that? What are you using it for?

"Highlight" usually refers to what you do when you read a book, using an app like iBooks. iBooks Author is not intended for reading books.

http://www.imore.com/how-highlight-and-notate-books-and-pdfs-ibooks-iphone-and-i pad

Mar 28, 2015 2:23 AM in response to Tom Gewecke

Hello back to you again Tom I am sorry if I didn’t make myself clear.

I have downloaded iBooks Author not to create a book or manuscript but to make clear documents that will pick-up my spellings (dyslexia!)

I also have Pages-

In ‘Pages’ you can go to the top menu bar and select ‘insert highlight’.

I ‘get it‘ in ‘iBooks Author’, how to shad/shadow/background colour’, a word; however, I can’t find out how to highlight a word.

The link you sent me through was for iBook’s.

What I would like to know is; in iBooks Author how to highlight a word..

I hope that is more understandable for you?

I look forward to your further response.

Thank you in advance

Kind regards

Corinne

Mar 28, 2015 6:05 AM in response to corinnefromhersham

I have downloaded iBooks Author not to create a book or manuscript but to make clear documents that will pick-up my spellings (dyslexia!)

Why do you not use a normal word processor for that? All of them have spell checkers. Normally people would use TextEdit, Pages, MS Word, Open/LIbreOffice, Nisus Writer, etc. iBooks Author is a specialized app for writing ebooks.

It is not clear what you mean by "highlight". Do you just want to change the color of a word, as in the picture below?

User uploaded file

Mar 28, 2015 8:22 AM in response to Tom Gewecke

Thanks for your response Tom.. I also thank you for your help and support.

It was suggested, in the Apple Store, that I download iBooks Author.. As it would help and assist me.. On reflection, perhaps not the best of recommendations!! 😢

Maybe i should look into downloading ‘TextEdit’ instead?😕

Could you help me out (again) please and tell me how I do this (download 'TextEdit')? Sorry if I am being a nuisance! 😟

Your screen shot/picture is precisely what I want to do in iBooks Author..i.e Now is the ‘T I M E’ ; the word ‘time’ highlighted in it’s own right and not as a fill.. 🙂

I appreciate iBooksAuthor, is for people who want to write a book.. However within a book, I would have ‘thought’ the editor/writer would be able, with certain words, highlight them, as opposed to fill/shad/background colour...😕

There dose not appear to be a highlight facility/selection in iBooks Author to highlight a word just to be a able to do ‘fill’; which I will learn to live with and get used to.

Unless you can come-up with an answer or solution?

I look forward to hearing form you again.. and thanks again

Kind regards

Corinne

Mar 28, 2015 9:56 AM in response to corinnefromhersham

It was suggested, in the Apple Store, that I download iBooks Author.. As it would help and assist me..

What do you want to do with the stuff you are writing? The problem with iBooks Author is that it cannot open any files created with standard word processors, and it cannot save or export to formats which standard wordprocessors read (except for .txt, where you lose all the formatting).

If you are doing normal writing I do recommend you switch to another app like TextEdit, Pages, Word, etc.

Mar 29, 2015 6:53 AM in response to Tom Gewecke

Hello once again Tom.. Thanks again for your help over this..🙂

I generally have large and long documents.

I was attempting to use iBooks Author, as a replacement, to Office for Mac (2011)- (I found any form support from Microsoft dreadfully appalling!!)

I have also tried ‘Pages’, however, that application didn’t have ‘bookmarks’ to take me to certain and specific points within in a document.

Table of contents was then advised, within Page, but I couldn’t get my head around that! It was too daunting. 😕

Then iBooks Author was recommended (Apple Store) – But can’t highlight a word,,

I just want a seamlessly easy application to produce documents..

It’s been a very frustrating time for me.. And I think I am getting confused and muddled!! 😕

Also, I have taken a look at EditText and think it is a bit too basic, for my needs (and doesn’t seem to include a highlight!)

Instead of attempting to solve and resolve the challenges that iBooks Author and Pages seem to be throwing up at me; I should do as you suggest and stay with Microsoft’s Office for Mac 2011 or Pages.. And then attempt to find another alternative to ‘table of contents’.

I thank you for ALL your help guidance and support.🙂

Kind regards

Corinne

Mar 29, 2015 10:48 AM in response to Tom Gewecke

I apologise Tom, when I said in my response to you yesterday, at 08.22am (GMT); that was ‘precisely’ what I wanted. I got muddle and confused!! 😕

It was NOT what I was looking for (again I’m sorry about that). As that is altering/changing the colour of the text.. Which I know how to do..🙂

It seems to me, that fill and highlight are the same thing.. in iBooks Author

In word (Microsoft for Mac 2011); this is fill/shading (little oil pot)

In word (Microsoft for Mac 2011); this is highlight (ABCI-)

Now, when I’m looking at them together, they look exactly the same.. So I will use the ‘background’ colour’ in iBooks Author, to highlight/fill any words..

It’s just getting used to the tweaks..

You have been exceptionally helpful and resourceful to me and I REALLY do appreciate it..🙂

Once more I thank you, for going the extra mile and being extraordinary patient with me.😉

Kind regards Corinne🙂

Mar 30, 2015 2:26 AM in response to Tom Gewecke

Hello again Tom.. 🙂

Now your completely flummoxed me .. 😕

I don’t understand what you mean by “But is pdf ok for the final format of your work? “ …I thought ‘PDF’s’ couldn’t be edited??!! 😕

Could/would you please clarify for me?

I also don’t know what an ‘.iba’ file is?😕

I have saved a couple of ‘test’ documents/files, of iBooks Author to my desktop.. I’ve gone back into them and I appear to be able to keep making additions/changes to the text..

Although one (on my desktop) is ‘coloured in’ (orange and white-and in the white IBA ) while the other is colourless..! Any thoughts?

I have taken screenshots of the two iBooks Books files/documents for you, which I am referring to (see below)

Sorry that I am such a nuisance and painUser uploaded fileUser uploaded file

I’m really am a computer dinosaur!! And not very computer literate/savvy!😊

Kind regards Corinne🙂

Mar 30, 2015 5:53 AM in response to corinnefromhersham

I don’t understand what you mean by “But is pdf ok for the final format of your work? “ …I thought ‘PDF’s’ couldn’t be edited??!! 😕

Could/would you please clarify for me?

I also don’t know what an ‘.iba’ file is?

An .iba file is what you get when you "save" your work in iBooks Author. It's important to understand that you normally can't send these files to someone else for reading or printing or anything. They can only be read by iBooks Author.

So what is supposed to happen to your writing when you are finished? Do you send it to someone else for editing or publication? The only choice you have for doing that is to export your work to .pdf format, which normally cannot be edited.

That is why most writers use a standard word processor, where you can save your work to something like .doc or .rtf format which others can easily read, edit, or print.

Mar 30, 2015 11:59 AM in response to Tom Gewecke

Thanks once more for your response Tom..🙂

I would never send an iBooks Author file in it’s entirety, to anybody else.. Whatever format it was in..

I only would use iBooks Author for my own personal use, as an aid/editing tool..

I use Word, Microsoft for Mac 2011., Pages and (in hopeful anticipation) iBooks Author, because of my Dyslexia.. 😊

I have to compose my text and correspondence, before I am able to send it; then I ‘copy and paste’ my compiled ‘text’, (without any, hopefully, typo’s/spelling mistakes!)

I was hoping iBooks Author, would pick-up in its ‘proof reading text’ capacity, any errors and blunders!.

I then send the previously ‘copied and pasted’ text, (from Word, Pages or iBooks Author), as an e-mail to someone or in a formal letter.

Basically, in a nutshell; I am only using it as a proof-reading/checking tool, as a crutch/support/prop for my Dyslexia!!

I have already copied and pasted something from iBooks Author onto an e-mail and it works!! Eureka!!🙂

I know it’s a long winded, roundabout and convoluted way of doing things.. However, it works for me!!

If only I could get my head around iBooks Author!!

I’m afraid I must be your biggest nightmare and dunce!!😊

Once again I thank you for your continual help.. Support and encouragement

Best regards

Corinne🙂

HIGHLIGHTING A WORD

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.