Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

'Macintosh HD' missing from Disc Utility

Have 2013 MacBook Pro. Had some minor issues, so checked disc utility. Told to reinstall OS X, as the directories weren't reparable. Tried reinstalling via disc that came with the computer, but could never get back to desktop screen. Tried one last time and the 'Macintosh HD' was missing from Disc Utility screen. Called Apple who said the HD might need to be replaced, which is really unacceptable after 2 years of light use. Ran Apple Diagnostics on Hardware, came back 'no problems found." Two questions: can I get back to HD and how do I get from the reinstallation to desktop? Thanks!!

MacBook Pro with Retina display

Posted on Mar 27, 2015 3:49 PM

4 replies

Mar 27, 2015 4:35 PM in response to OGELTHORPE

Thank you for responding. Problem is, I can't get to the HD to reinstall the OS. Reinstallation option comes up with empty screen for selection of where to install. Disc Utility is missing Macintosh HD, with nothing else available with enough space to take the reinstall. I'm sure the HD is working... I can get online, although, not to desktop. I feel that it's just in the background somewhere waiting for me to find a way to retrieve it. I'm sure that I did something wrong with the reinstall of the system that caused it to disappear. I called Apple, and they had no solutions to offer. The Mac belongs to a non-profit, so I hate to spend money on it that isn't absolutely necessary, and it's only 2 years old.

Mar 27, 2015 4:56 PM in response to costellosmith

Boot the MBP with the OPTION + COMMAND + R keys.

If successful, you should see a revolving globe.

This will connect you to the Apple servers.

Follow the instructions and you should see a 4 option menu.

Select Disk Utility and then First Aid. Run Verify and Repair.

Then you can select the OSX reinstall option. It will reinstall the original OSX that the MBP came with.

If no success, then the best option is an Apple store genius bar appointment. The evaluation will be FREE.

Ciao.

'Macintosh HD' missing from Disc Utility

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.