Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Installing 'Yosemite'; 'Mavericks'

Hello,

I had Mavericks installed on my original 160 GB HDD. It was working fine for a long time, until...

A Month ago the original HDD crashed and since my last backup was about a year old, so far I'm unable

to install any new OS X past Snow Leopard.

I have installed (in place of my old HDD) SanDisk SSD 250GB.

RAM is 4 GB.

I Have 137GB available.

I Have MacBookPro 2007 ; Model identifier: MacBookPro3,1

It's interesting - actually being user of Mavericks for a long time ever since it's release I found a download on my machine from that 'year old back up' - does it mean that I had made a back with the newly installed then 'Mavericks'?! It's definitely 'purchased' and downloaded in the Apple store As well as the 'Yosemite' is.

But it will not install now - in the same way Yosemite wouldn't ??!!

Any help will be welcomed!

MacBook Pro, Mac OS X (10.4.11)

Posted on Mar 27, 2015 2:28 PM

3 replies

May 5, 2015 7:07 AM in response to Kurt Lang

Kurt,

I'd not noticed your reply until earlier today.

I've spent a month with Apple senior advisors and they would tell me politely that this computer is too old even for Mavericks, nevertheless that the muscles of my mouth were cramping of repetition the truth : I did install Mavericks at the end of 2013 and run it till coupe of months ago now on my old MackintoshHD.

They filed reports to the engineers of Apple and they would report back to the senior adviser the same thing - your computer is ineligible.

They advised me to buy 'Lion' which I did and it did install right the way, but many applications would not work because the data acquired was obviously with newer version (OS X Mavericks). Finally they advised me to erase the new SSD i had install and then clean instal 'Lion' again. When I did so I got a prompt message from the Apple store that I should try the newest version OS X - Yosemite. Instead on Lion I clicked on Yosemite , downloaded it, IT DID INSTALL this time and as I am writing this ,I'm using it with all the data transferred from my original Macintosh HD, which I ran through external USB to SATA device.

Thanks for your attention!

Rossen

Disk Identifier :disk0s2
Mount Point :/
File System :Mac OS Extended (Journaled)
Connection Bus :SATA
Device Tree :IODeviceTree:/PCI0/SATA@1F,2/PRT0@0/PMP@0
Writable :Yes
Universal Unique Identifier :391B9FC8-C100-37E7-BA0E-F31778E98B53
Capacity :255.2 GB (255,200,755,712 Bytes)
Free Space :98.3 GB (98,302,980,096 Bytes)
Used :156.9 GB (156,897,775,616 Bytes)
Number of Files :634,496
Number of Folders :163,825
Owners Enabled :Yes
Can Turn Owners Off :Yes
Can Repair Permissions :Yes
Can Be Verified :Yes
Can Be Repaired :Yes
Can Be Formatted :Yes
Bootable :Yes
Supports Journaling :Yes
Journaled :Yes
Disk Number :0
Partition Number :2

May 5, 2015 7:29 AM in response to RossenBial

By "too old", they more likely meant that Mac may run rather slowly with Mavericks or Yosemite. Especially if you have only 2 GB of RAM installed. But that model will run all versions of OS X up to Yosemite.

If you already had Snow Leopard, there was no reason to purchase Lion. You can upgrade to any newer version of OS X from SL without having to install any other version in between.

The drive info you posted wasn't really what I was trying to determine, but it doesn't matter. What I wanted to find out was if the drive's partition map was GUID or Apple Partition Map. But since you already upgraded to Yosemite, that answers the question (you wouldn't have been able to install Lion or later if the drive was Apple Partition Map).

Installing 'Yosemite'; 'Mavericks'

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.