Newsroom Update

Apple is introducing a new Apple Watch Pride Edition Braided Solo Loop, matching watch face, and dynamic iOS and iPadOS wallpapers as a way to champion global movements to protect and advance equality for LGBTQ+ communities. Learn more >

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

How do I restore my passcode-locked 4S?

I am locked-out of my retired iPhone 4S (iOS 8.1.1) and can't restore it in iTunes.

Last October I upgraded to an iPhone 6+ and retired my trusty 4S, which has sat unused for five months. Yesterday I decided to use it as an iPod Touch. I charged the battery, powered it on, and was confronted with the Enter Passcode screen telling me that "iPhone requires your passcode after restarting". I do not remember what passcode I had set prior to putting the 4S aside. Following the procedure spelled-out in the iOS 8.1 User Guide, I tried Restore iPhone in iTunes (version 12.1.0.50) only to be advised:

Find My iPhone must be turned off before "DEBE V" can be restored.

Go to iCloud Settings on your iPhone and turn off Find My iPhone before restoring your iPhone."

(DEBE—acronym for Does Everything But Eat).

What we have here is Catch 22: I can't get into my 4S without restoring it and I can't restore without getting into it. Any ideas?

iPhone 4S, iOS 6.1.3, 16 GB

Posted on Mar 27, 2015 3:21 PM

6 replies

How do I restore my passcode-locked 4S?

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.