Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Accidentally clicked suspicious ad on Safari

I was on the internet browsing, when I clicked I link that I thought would take me to the page I wanted, but instead it opened up a new tab and there was a NSFW ad. I didn't click anything on that page, rather closed the tab and cleared my history and cookies. Is there a virus on my phone? Or a trojan? Or is there any way for me to check?

iPhone 6, iOS 8.2

Posted on Mar 27, 2015 3:35 PM

14 replies

Mar 28, 2015 8:39 AM in response to Drod2368

Drod2368 wrote:

I was on the internet browsing, when I clicked I link that I thought would take me to the page I wanted, but instead it opened up a new tab and there was a NSFW ad.

You do not have any kind of malware on your iPhone. That was probably just a bad link, they're all over the internet these days. Lots of crap websites out there.

If this happened on a legit site, that site may have been hacked, or may be using a new advertising strategy and is no longer as legit as it once was. There may also be a problem with your network if the problem repeatedly occurs on many sites, with any devices connected to that network.

Mar 27, 2015 3:51 PM in response to Drod2368

All apps on the ipad are sandboxed. An app cannot access the storage space of an other app. Drivers cannot be installed. Even during installation, the installer is not allowed to modify system software. You should be safe.

That being said, a web page might be able to mess with your browser settings. Allowing virus checking would break the security on the ipad.

Robert

Mar 27, 2015 8:30 PM in response to rccharles

Sorry I'm a bit confused on your question, first off this was on my iphone not Ipad, and second of all you're saying not to do a virus scan? Also, what do you mean when it might be able to mess with my browser settings? Like see my passwords when I log into something like email in the safari app or what? Sorry for the bombardment of questions, I'm just a highly paranoid person. :/

Mar 27, 2015 9:12 PM in response to Drod2368

Sorry about forgetting that you have an iPhone.

Both the ipad and the iphone use ios. The ipad is the iphone with a bigger screen and no apple phone app.

I think you are safe since you deleted cookies.

Remember, you not dealing with windows anymore. All Windows problems are Microsoft's doing. Other OS's like ios, mac os, and linux don't have all these problems.

Robert

Mar 29, 2015 12:13 PM in response to Drod2368

Drod2368 wrote:

while this does not happen often, I am curious as to what a "network" is. Do you mean my wifi or my phone carrier?

The word network is a broad, high level term. It means any "talk" between hardware devices. To have a network you have to have multiple devices "talking" to each other. Although two devices "talking" to each other technically qualifies as a network, this use is looked down about ... It not complicated enough.

Your home wifi configuration is a network. Your telephone carrier has a cellular network.

Robert

Mar 29, 2015 2:48 PM in response to Lawrence Finch

Lawrence Finch wrote:

It is becoming common for ISPs and cellular carriers to intercept packets as they traverse the Internet and insert advertising. [...] The worst offender for both of these practices in the US is Verizon.

I have to disagree there. I've got Verizon, and they definitely don't inject ads in any way that I have ever seen. What they do do is inject a "perma-cookie" that can be used by advertisers to track the usage on your device.All that does is allow advertisers to obtain more information about your browsing habits. That's definitely a serious privacy issue, but it wouldn't cause the behaviors described in this topic.

Accidentally clicked suspicious ad on Safari

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.