Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Unable to De-authorized a Mac

I'm having trouble de-authorizing a Macintosh.

It works perfectly, and would like to continue to use it, but we are at our ID limit.

First, let me say I'm reasonably confident, (but not absolutely confident) that this computer was authorized. In fact, to get to the section where the ID is de-authorized I had to sign in with my Apple ID.

I did the following:

1.) Open iTunes on the computer you want to deauthorize.

2.) Choose Store > Deauthorize This Computer.

After doing this, I received the following pop-up. " This computer was not authorized. To authorize this computer, play a song or video you have purchased using this Apple ID."

This message leads me to believe the computer was never authorized to begin with. I am confused.

Posted on Mar 27, 2015 3:02 PM

10 replies

Mar 28, 2015 7:24 PM in response to OGELTHORPE

I went to that Apple website prior to posting. The problem is, my computers are poorly named so I can't really tell by the name which computer is which.

So I thought that by using the computer I want to de-authorize that would make it easy. I signed in using my Apple ID, (which was accepted as valid). Then I got the message below.

I did the following:

1.) Open iTunes on the computer you want to deauthorize.

2.) Choose Store > Deauthorize This Computer.

After doing this, I received the following pop-up. " This computer was not authorized. To authorize this computer, play a song or video you have purchased using this Apple ID."

Mar 29, 2015 2:34 AM in response to Ziatron

Never having faced this prob;em I am apt to think that the message you are receiving indicates that the given computer was never authorized. If you wish to be certain, you can log into your iTunes account and invoke the DEAUTHORIZE ALL option. Then you can proceed to authorize the appropriate Macs. Not very efficient, but that should remove any doubt.

Ciao.

Mar 29, 2015 7:53 AM in response to OGELTHORPE

Never having faced this problem I am apt to think that the message you are receiving indicates that the given computer was never authorized. If you wish to be certain, you can log into your iTunes account and invoke the DEAUTHORIZE ALL option. Then you can proceed to authorize the appropriate Macs. Not very efficient, but that should remove any doubt.

Isn't there a 1-year limit on how often one can do "De-authorize all" ? I ask this question because I did this a few months ago. We are at our ID limit, so we have started to buy Windows computers and Android phones, but we ALL prefer Apple products, that's why I am trying to remove this computer.

Mar 29, 2015 8:24 AM in response to Ziatron

Ziatron wrote:

Isn't there a 1-year limit on how often one can do "De-authorize all" ? I ask this question because I did this a few months ago. We are at our ID limit, so we have started to buy Windows computers and Android phones, but we ALL prefer Apple products, that's why I am trying to remove this computer.

It took me a long time to find this and it was in the HELP section. Nothing was in any of the Apple support articles that I saw.

User uploaded file

It may not be easy, but can you identify all of the computers that you have authorized (with certainty).

I have purchased only TV shows and if I try to play one on a none authorized computer, it starts up with a third party application (Real Player) and will not play. Since I have never purchased any other media, I cannot say with any certainty what the results would be exactly, but some type of error message should be generated. Test to see if that computer will play purchased material.

Ciao.

Mar 29, 2015 8:54 AM in response to OGELTHORPE

It's a shame that Apple limits the "de-authorize all" to once a year. Moreover, their low ID number (5) limits force us to buy non-Apple products.

When I go to access some of this content, I am asked to sign in with my Apple ID. IF this computer is already "not authorized", wouldn't the act of signing-in authorize the computer I am trying to de-authorized ?

Mar 30, 2015 10:33 AM in response to Ziatron

Ziatron wrote:

You have to admit, that final message from Apple is a little fuzzy. I would have it say something like, "The computer you are trying to de-authorize, is not authorized the now."

I agree, the message could be written with greater clarity.

Your post was one of those cases where I got 'angry' and wanted to find out for certain what was the situation as much as for myself as for you. I think the ambiguity of the message is what prompted me. I have three MBPs but I also have OSXs on external HDDs and I knew I had 4 machines authorized and it took me a while to find the correct HDD. I suppose I should now authorize it again. 🙂

What also frustrated me was that I knew that I had read that there was a 'once per year limit' on deauthorizing all Macs, but I could not remember where I had seen it. That took me more time to find than I care to mention, but I had become obsessed. 😁 As a point of information, I have found that the HELP feature can answer many questions that are posted in these forums and it is rare that I see others utilize it.

Even with my teeth gnashing, in the end I was happy at the final result. I do appreciate the green check mark and as you very well know, it is forthcoming less often than perhaps it should, but that is the nature of the beast. If you find satisfaction of participating on these forums, try to get to level 6. You then have LOUNGE access and get to communicate with the moderators and all other level 6+ participants. It is a good experience.

Ciao.

Unable to De-authorized a Mac

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.