Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

os 10.8.5 shutdown

I have a iMac that is running 10.8.5 mountain lion it will occasionally shuts down unexpectedly. Need to unplug wait and the plug back in. Was told by a Genius Bar tech the problem may be with Mountain Lion. To me this seems like a hardware problem not software. The computer owner does not want to upgrade to Yosemite. If the upgrade would definetly fix the problem we would concider it. The ted mentioned a specific problem with power shutdown with Mountain Lion and I did not write it down could some one help?

iMac (27-inch, Late 2012), OS X Mountain Lion (10.8.5)

Posted on Mar 27, 2015 2:48 PM

2 replies

Mar 27, 2015 9:16 PM in response to rkaufmann87

I was just there today, the first tech after about a half hour stated the power supply should be replaced. Because we are in the middle of tax season I did not want to leave the machine with them for a week. I called them up after I got home and because I did not receive a email detailing my visit. After I reviewed my story with the new guy he said I should load Yosemite because it had a fix for unexpected shutdown. So I tend to believe you a power issue should be hardware and not software. This power issue in particular because the machine will not restart for 5 to 10 minutes as if it needs to cool down first.

os 10.8.5 shutdown

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.