Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Create new account says my email is used by another apple product?

My wife attempted to login on a seldom used iPad. The email address that the device knows is no longer in use (not valid) and she forgot the password. Since we couldn't use the email option to reset the password we used the security question which was her date of birth. Apple responded that her DOB was incorrect which is nonsense--the DOB was correct.

So absent that path we tried 'create a new account'. After entering all the new account information including her current email address that she uses for her iPhone, Apple rejected the attempt saying the email is used by another device. Well of course it's used by another account--her iPhone!

So I'll bite, what do we do to get the thing open?

Mark

iPad Mini, Windows 7

Posted on Mar 27, 2015 4:47 PM

13 replies

Mar 27, 2015 5:17 PM in response to Markg2

Assuming that I am understanding what your explaining here.... I use one Apple ID on 6 different iOS devices including iPads, iPhones and iPods. There is no reason that you can't use your Apple ID on multiple devices. What you can't do is create another Apple ID using the same email address. You can only use one email address for an Apple ID, so if your wife is already using her email address for another Apple ID and she wants to create another Apple ID, she has to use another email address.

Where you are going to run into another problem is if you need to update or restore this iPad. If it is running iOS a 7 has Find My iPad turned on, you have to erase it before you will be able to activate it again or update the iOS software. You cannot turn off Find my iPad without knowing the Apple ID and password.

Mar 27, 2015 6:04 PM in response to Demo

Terminology problem.

By Apple ID are we referring to a set of credentials--username (for want of a better word) and typically the email address OR Apple ID=email address?

If the Apple ID is a set then can we go to the Apple website and 'reset' the Apple ID to that of her iPhone and use the same 'set' of credentials on the iPad?

Mar 27, 2015 6:13 PM in response to Markg2

Markg2 wrote:

Terminology problem.

By Apple ID are we referring to a set of credentials--username (for want of a better word) and typically the email address OR Apple ID=email address?

That's what I thought that you meant. The Apple ID is your username and it is the primary email address that you use for your Apple ID. We are on the same page on that point.

If the Apple ID is a set then can we go to the Apple website and 'reset' the Apple ID to that of her iPhone and use the same 'set' of credentials on the iPad?

Like I said in my first post, there is no reason that she can't use the same Apple ID on both devices. On the iPad, did she try going to Settings>iTunes and App Store>Apple ID. Tap on the old ID and sign out. Then sign in with the ID that she uses on the phone?

Mar 27, 2015 6:26 PM in response to Demo

>>>>>>On the iPad, did she try going to Settings>iTunes and App Store>Apple ID. Tap on the old ID and sign out. Then sign in with the ID that she uses on the phone?

No--not enough knowledge to know that.

If she signs out of the old ID and uses the iPhone ID she still is absent a password. I presume that if she gets that far since she's now signing in with a working email address she can use 'email' as the choice to reset the password. Correct?

Mar 27, 2015 6:46 PM in response to Demo

Ok--progress.

I did as you described in Settings/iTunes. I entered her iCloud/iTunes credentials which use her correct (iPhone) email address and the device accepted it. However, when I opened Messages I was prompted for her iCloud password but the email address that was imprinted was her 'old' email address. So clearly Apple is really confused.

I just went to the iCloud on her desktop computer and successfully logged in and then successfully logged in to manage my Apple ID or something like that. So it's clear that the iPad's indicating her old email address as the address for iCloud login is something that's incorrectly 'stuck' in the device.

How do we get that old email address that the device is associating with the iCloud removed in favor of the new correct one?

Mar 28, 2015 4:37 AM in response to Markg2

This is what I was talking about earlier. The device is activation locked and the old ICloud account has to be removed which can only be accomplished if you know the password for the old Apple ID. If the old email address is no longer valid, you will not be able to reset the password. You will now need help from Apple.

go here and contact Apple.

Contact Apple for help with Apple ID account security - Apple Support

Mar 28, 2015 4:46 PM in response to Markg2

II'm sorry. I can't explain what is happening. Are you signed into your Apple ID when you try to initiate contact with support? I am always signed in and I followed through all the way to where it had the options for the phone calls. Are you making it that far and then going into the loop?

Mar 29, 2015 6:25 PM in response to Demo

Later it dawned on me that a prearranged support call would fail to connect to our home number due to a conflict between Apple's auto dialer and our marketing block. I needed to change the # to my cell phone. The email link for the appointment either didn't have the edit phone ability or I missed it. I used the 800 # on the apple contact us page and got a rep in 5 minutes who resolved the whole mess :-)

Mark

Create new account says my email is used by another apple product?

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.