Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

syncing iphone 4s with itunes

syncing iphone 4s with itunes and itunes says 5.35GB over capacity even tho there is 9GB free space.when I try to take more off iphone the error message reads the same. it all started with latest version of itunes. 12.1.1.4

iTunes-OTHER, Windows 7

Posted on Mar 27, 2015 7:46 PM

5 replies

Mar 28, 2015 6:58 AM in response to goldenlight

When the media on the device won't update as expected during a sync the method that usually works is this:

1. Export the contents of the camera roll. (You should do this routinely anyway.)
  2. Backup the device, unless you have a recent backup that you would prefer to restore.
  3. Restore as a new device. (The general restore process doesn't seem to clear things out before reloading, so there can be issues with missing artwork or incorrect capacity calculations.)
  4. Restore the chosen backup.

In some cases it might pay to use the recovery mode method given in HT201263: If you can't update or restore your iPhone, iPad, or iPod touch at step 3 to ensure that a device has been completely reset before reloading your content.

tt2

Mar 28, 2015 11:53 AM in response to turingtest2

I Think the problem is in iTunes or some compatibility issue with Windows. I took off a lot of Apps and games on iPhone and it almost took care of but somehow came back with error of not enough space to sync with iTunes. With iPhone still tethered a little would show so many megabytes needed clear off of iPhone, then I would find something else to take off and then earlier error message would say that iPhone is 5.33GB over so it couldn't sync. Thinking of trying to download earlier version of iTunes and try that. I guess go back to version 11. Version 12.1.1.4 is when I started having trouble but I couldn't find anyone or anyway to resolve issue. I think there also the issue of duplicate music put in at one point. Maybe that's all that is wrong. Couldn't say for sure

Mar 28, 2015 12:29 PM in response to turingtest2

So far iTunes hasn't sorted it out. Seems to be only with the iPhone as I was close to using up all memory and had to take off what I didn't need so I would have space for syncing and installing software updates. iPad and iPod are fine for now Since I haven't come close to using up memory. I will try syncing again and if issue is the same maybe I'll live with it. I won't do a restore unto I purchase iExplorer for windows so I can save data on games and such.

Mar 28, 2015 12:39 PM in response to goldenlight

That is the point of step 3 in my advice. It takes a snapshot of all of the settings and data for each app and backs them up. The media files themselves aren't included in the backup. When you restore all your app data goes back on first along with the apps, and the media is added last.

There is another benefit to going through these steps. As a rule you only have a single rolling backup for each device. These become archived when a device is restored and a new rolling backup is generated. Running a backup restore cycle periodically gives you a chance to go recover an earlier state of the device following some incident when the current backup has been updated after losing the data that you want to restore.

tt2

syncing iphone 4s with itunes

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.