Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

To anyone struggling with a newer Comcast modem/wireless router combo...

A Few months ago I got an email from Comcast saying that I needed to upgrade my modem to experience all new lightning fast speeds and services from Comcast. They sent me one of their new wireless gateway/router/modem combo devices. When I got it connected, i noticed that I was indeed getting faster speeds, BUT I also started having problems with ALL my Apple services (AirPlay, AppleTV streaming from iTunes on my computer, wake computer from sleep from AppleTV, etc.). It all stopped working correctly. The Apple TV would stop playing audio from my MBP's iTunes after a few seconds, especially on the higher codecs, such as Lossless and AIFF. I had problems even connecting AirPlay from my iPad and iPhone at all more often than not. Photos were VERY slow to load on the AppleTV. I tried absolutely everything to fix it. I tried opening ports in the router's admin page. I had to set the wireless security on the Comcast modem to "Low" just to get it to work at all. The sad truth is that these routers ABSOLUTELY SUCK.

***Here's how I solved it - I hope this helps others***

I finally called Comcast and had them set the the router portion to *Bridge Mode* - this doesn't turn off the wireless network portion of the router completely, but it does render it inactive so that it doesn't get in the way of your Apple network. I did have to reset my main airport express so that it was the main network base station, but once that was done - voila!! My trusty Airport Expresses were working as they were before I started this whole nightmare. So, I'm back to my pre-upgrade speed, but everything is working perfectly again now. Thanks for the "upgrade", Comcast...

MacBook Pro (17-inch Early 2011), OS X Mavericks (10.9), 8GB RAM

Posted on Mar 27, 2015 9:21 PM

There are no replies.

To anyone struggling with a newer Comcast modem/wireless router combo...

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.