Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

iPhoto constantly needs permission repairs

Hello everyone. I put a new hard drive into my mac. I used to have my iPhoto library on an external drive, but I put it on the new internal drive. Now every time I, or one of the other users, want to open iPhoto, it complains EVERY TIME "There is a problem accessing one or more files in your iPhoto library. Do you want iPhoto to repair permissions for this library for you?". We all click yes and it fixes permissions and it runs just fine. All photos seem to be there. If we quit iPhoto we have to go through this same routine any time we open it again. I've tried the command-option technique upon opening iPhoto and I've tried all the options to rebuild permissions, database, etc. It's all no help. Anyone have any idea what is going on and how to fix this?

Mac Pro, Mac OS X (10.7.5)

Posted on Mar 27, 2015 6:18 PM

4 replies

Mar 27, 2015 11:39 PM in response to bshonky

Now every time I, or one of the other users, want to open iPhoto, it complains EVERY TIME

If you have multiple user accounts accessing the same iPhoto Library then it needs to be on an external disk, formatted Mac OS Extended (Journaled) and set to ignore ownership and permissions. There is no way to share an iPhoto Library among accounts from the start-up disk, without these issues.

Mar 28, 2015 9:40 AM in response to bshonky

If you want to repartition the hard drive so there's one partition just for the iPhoto Library you can do what you want. The partition would be the same an an external HD partition. However, you will have to make sure it's large enough to accommodate any library size increase in the future so you don't get locked of of the library and eventually have to get an external HD anyway.

User uploaded file

iPhoto constantly needs permission repairs

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.