Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Restoring an IPod touch bought from a pawnshop?

Ok so my mom's old iPod battery has been bad so when I was at the pawn shop I saw and decided to buy her one of the newer iPod touch 5th gen. As soon as I got home I put it to charge only to find out it has a passcode needed. I called the pawnshop to see if they by chance knew it and they didn't. Good news is they said I could get a refund. I looked online to see if I could somehow keep it and I read some posts talking about restoring it and it should be fine. Now I'm not very technological person but I followed the directions and a few minutes into restoring and update, my computer made a noise and there was a window that popped up saying 'iPod touch needs passcode' however it is still shows downloading 'IPod software update' so do I have to wait for the software update to be done to restore it and it will work or is it not going to work and I should tak

iPod touch

Posted on Mar 27, 2015 7:46 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Mar 27, 2015 8:52 PM

Return it to the pawnshop. You cannot get it to work. See: Find My iPhone Activation Lock - Apple Support

3 replies

Mar 28, 2015 6:53 AM in response to bobjbkln

I appreciate you trying to help, so thank you 🙂

I actually managed to get it to work! It wasn't with the normal restore I had to follow the DFU restore steps, hold power button 3 secs as you connect the iPod to iTunes, then continue to hold power and home button ten seconds, let go of power an hold home for 20 secs. Next thing I know I get it downloading ipod software again but I don't get a pop up asking for passcode again. Long wait but it was worth it, iPod started up in factory settings 🙂

Restoring an IPod touch bought from a pawnshop?

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.