Want to highlight a helpful answer? Upvote!

Did someone help you, or did an answer or User Tip resolve your issue? Upvote by selecting the upvote arrow. Your feedback helps others! Learn more about when to upvote >

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

MBP 2011 GPU Crash

I have a 2011 MBP that does regular (1-2 times per hour) black screen / reboots and show 'GPU Panic' in the log.

I swapped the HD with another one that also has OSX on it, same thing, so it's clearly not a software issue.

Connecting a HDMI cable will cause the computer to reboot 4-5 times before, if you're lucky, it will boot normally.

Browsing with flash tends to do it too as it uses the nVidia GPU.

So, I was thinking about bringing the computer to the shop as now the 2011 computers with GPU problems are fixed by Apple.

But...

If I run some GPU benchmark tool, some burn-in tools, etc... it's stable.

I downloaded Apple's hardware diagnostic tool, which the shops use to determine eligibility, and the computer passed without any problems.

but it will crash the moment I connect it to a TV...

Because of this, most likely the store will tell me the computer is fine...

Has anyone experienced that problem?

OS X Yosemite (10.10.1)

Posted on Mar 27, 2015 7:13 PM

9 replies

Mar 28, 2015 4:58 AM in response to ThomasD3

AHC will not check if the GPU is failing. I all ready check it. The AHC will tell you that the video card is present. the only way that give the result is using ASD. The reason is that AHC use on board intel graphic module. If you have a issue ASD will test stress and give the result. I made a AHC and all goes fine. ASD give me on board video card was bad. These is as far I can go. I get one of 4 computers from the list, and the guys told me the same crap. they do not want to take you computer for a fix. Period. I am preparing a note to apple, since in here Panama City Panama, there is no Apple. resellers and ¨service store. If they see that the computer is have a dent somewhere, upgrade memory, upgrade memory module or something that is not from apple they are not reciving it or they will tell you that is not covered with the warranty. Of course. I will not blame Apple on my case. Apple as Apple computer store and genius bar, the real one, is not in Panama City Panama. I just open a company, I am doing well, and soon I am applying do the service license , since I am sick of dealing with the incompetent people here. I love apple products. Buy until I do not see the big Apple logo, like on may store around the world, they are not here. I am so mad.

Mar 28, 2015 12:19 PM in response to ThomasD3

ok lets see I just got another computer that they tell them that warranty was not available and no covered. the AHC runs perfect. I can not say anything bad, since in here there is no apple store or genus. just dealers and sudo repairs. I want to get the license, but Apple does not give these to people, just companies employs. So I got my comercial license yesterday, and see if I can apply to it. I really want give the same service that i got over the years from apple.com here in Panama. Since most of us are powerless. I hope Apple read these and help us here.

Mar 28, 2015 12:55 PM in response to Carlos De Bernard

To verify eligibility for this particular program, you need to enter your serial number into the page to check that the particular MacBook Pro you have was manufactured within the time period of those covered by the repair/coverage extension program.

If it is eligible, you would need to take it to an Apple Store Genius Bar or an AASP, who should run a diagnostic tool (VST - Video System Test) within their diagnostic system (AST).

VST checks for a specific fault. Sometimes the GPUs can fail on MacBook Pro's that are covered by extension programs such as this one and still not fail the test, that is simply because they have a different fault to that covered by the extension program.

Thanks,
Oliver

Apple Certified Mac Technician

Apple Certified Associate - Mac Integration 10.9

Mar 28, 2015 4:24 PM in response to OliverF99

Thanks for the clarification Oliver.

Is the eligibility based on the serial number, and symptoms, or based on the diagnostic tool?

For example I do not have any video corruption at all, just random reboots with GPU Panic in the error log; and it'll reboot 4-5 times before running when plugging a HDMI cable; at that point, it is as stable as Charles Manson, but you can hope to watch half a movie without a reboot.

Actually, just as I typed this message, the other computer (the one with the problem) rebooted on it own, with nothing but the finder running. When I think that my Atari 800 still powers up perfectly 30 years later...

Also, the page with the repair program is just telling me that my purchase date is 'validated' and that my phone support and 1 year warranty are expired; but it doesn't mention anything about this specific issue; does that mean it is not covered?

Mar 30, 2015 10:16 AM in response to ThomasD3

If there is nothing else shown on the page other than your verified purchase date and that your limited warranty has expired, then I would guess that it is not covered. Your best bet, just to be sure would be to contact Apple and have them check manually.

The serial number of each machine is unique and can identify when the MacBook Pro was manufactured, which is how Apple decide whether or not your machine is eligible for cover within the extension program as it only covers machines manufactured from and to a certain date.

The symptoms on the repair extension page are as follows:

• Distorted or scrambled video on the computer screen
  • No video on the computer screen (or external display) even though the computer is on
  • Computer restarts unexpectedly

The fact that you've described that your MacBook Pro restarts with GPU Panic errors would imply that it is actually experiencing the issue covered by the extension program, so I would contact Apple and find out whether or not it is covered by the extension program.

Thanks,
Oliver

Apple Certified Mac Technician

Apple Certified Associate - Mac Integration 10.9

MBP 2011 GPU Crash

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.