Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Problem with Aperture 3.6 Can't open Preferences

I had a problem with Aperture 3.6; opened a new Library from the Vault, now cannot open Aperture Preferences. When I attempt to open preferences I get a very thin vertical line about 1 ½ inches long?? Any fixes for this/ Thanks, Vic

iMac, OS X Yosemite (10.10)

Posted on Mar 27, 2015 9:25 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Mar 28, 2015 2:29 AM

Try to delete the Aperture preferences as described here at this link:

Get help with Aperture 3 - Apple Support

Steps to reset preference settings

To reset your Aperture user preference settings to their original state, do the following:

1. Quit Aperture.
  2. In the Finder choose "Go to folder" from the Go menu.
  3. Type ~/Library/Preferences in the "Go to the folder" field. Press the Go button.
  4. Remove the "com.apple.Aperture.plist" file from the Preferences folder.
  5. Restart your computer if you're using OS X Mavericks.

The locations of your Aperture libraries are stored in the preference file listed above. If you have stored your library outside the default location of ~/Pictures/Aperture Library, make a note of where the library is before deleting the Aperture preferences file. If you have more than one library, you can bring up a dialog to choose which one to load by pressing Option immediately after you open Aperture.

3 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Mar 28, 2015 2:29 AM in response to me.victor

Try to delete the Aperture preferences as described here at this link:

Get help with Aperture 3 - Apple Support

Steps to reset preference settings

To reset your Aperture user preference settings to their original state, do the following:

1. Quit Aperture.
  2. In the Finder choose "Go to folder" from the Go menu.
  3. Type ~/Library/Preferences in the "Go to the folder" field. Press the Go button.
  4. Remove the "com.apple.Aperture.plist" file from the Preferences folder.
  5. Restart your computer if you're using OS X Mavericks.

The locations of your Aperture libraries are stored in the preference file listed above. If you have stored your library outside the default location of ~/Pictures/Aperture Library, make a note of where the library is before deleting the Aperture preferences file. If you have more than one library, you can bring up a dialog to choose which one to load by pressing Option immediately after you open Aperture.

Mar 28, 2015 8:32 AM in response to léonie

Léonie, you have done it again! Thank you very much, that was easy.

On a related question, are you very concerned now that Apple has stopped supporting Aperture? Are you looking for or have found a similar application, if so, what is it? For me Aperture is perfect and I am concerned about it not being supported any more (except for the support that I get from people like you in this Aperture Support Forum!) Thanks again, Victor

Mar 28, 2015 8:51 AM in response to me.victor

You're welcome. 🙂

Aperture will no longer be developed, and that make me sad. Aperture is perfect for my workflow, and has exactly the tools I need, with a very versatile user interface. Apple is abandoning the best professional photo software ever.

Apple announced, that Aperture will be supported during the life cycle of Yosemite. I will continue to use Aperture as my main photo library and editor, as long as I can stay with Yosemite. I am creating a smaller Aperture library for sharing with iCloud, that I will migrate to Photos; it will just contain a small subset of my photos, that I want to have on all devices.

If Photos does not develop into something useful for my needs during the next few years, I'll migrate my main libraries to digikam; it is free, compatible with Linux systems, and has many advanced tools. Our students prefer open source software anyway, so I can use it at ork as well.

But if you want a professional substitute for Aperture, look at Capture One or Lightroom. There are quite a few discussions here on the merits of these alternatives.

Problem with Aperture 3.6 Can't open Preferences

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.