Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Boot camp 5.1.3 will not give me the option to download Windows 8.1. I just bought the disk today to do this but the only option I have is to download windows 7. How do I fix this?

I have a usb with 16 gb already formatted it and I just downloaded Yosemite. I just bought a brand new windows 8.1 disk, so how do I download it to my Mac so I can use some stupid Windows apps ha?

Posted on Mar 27, 2015 10:48 PM

11 replies

Mar 28, 2015 5:21 PM in response to Meceron

From MacBook Pro (13-inch, Mid 2010) - Technical Specifications, you have a built-in Optical drive. Is it functional?

Storage

• 250GB or 320GB 5400-rpm Serial ATA hard drive; optional 320GB or 500GB 5400-rpm hard drive, or 128GB, 256GB, or 512GB solid-state drive6
  • 8x slot-loading SuperDrive (DVD±R DL/DVD±RW/CD-RW)
  • Maximum write: 8x DVD-R, DVD+R; 4x DVD-R DL (double layer), DVD+R DL (double layer), DVD-RW, DVD+RW; 24x CD-R; 10x CD-RW
  • Maximum read: 8x DVD-R, DVD+R, DVD-ROM; 6x DVD-ROM (double layer DVD-9), DVD-R DL (double layer), DVD+R DL (double layer), DVD-RW, DVD+RW; 24x CD

You will need to burn a DVD using Disk Utility (Yosemite): Burn a disk image to a CD or DVD and use it for Windows installation. You will also need a USB2 flash disk for the BC drivers for it to work. Please ensure that the DVD is burnt at the recommend rate for the physical media and verify, otherwise you will end up with an unusable DVD.

Mar 28, 2015 5:54 PM in response to Meceron

If you have a physical Windows Install media then,

1. Plug in a USB2 into a USB port.

2. Insert the DVD into the internal Optical drive.

3. Disconnect all other external storage. You should have only Keyboard/mouse/USB and physical DVD.

4. Run BCA and pick both options. the USB will be erased and BC drivers downloaded from Apple servers.

5. Your last option should say Install Windows....

6. Your installer should start and you should get screens as shown https://help.apple.com/bootcamp/mac/5.0/help/#/bcmp173b3bf2.

7. If you get a black screen or a blinking underline cursor, either your DVD is corrupt, or you have a USB3 disk.

8. Please try each individual USB port behind the iMac and test.

Boot camp 5.1.3 will not give me the option to download Windows 8.1. I just bought the disk today to do this but the only option I have is to download windows 7. How do I fix this?

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.