Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Time capsule and external hard drives

Good morning support group! I have a new Macbook and time capsule. My iPhoto library and iTunes are on external hard drives and are (gulp) not backed up properly. Can I set up the TC to back up the external hard drives and the macbook. If I set it up not to exclude the EHDs does it get upset when they are not connected or do I have to re-set it whenever I want to back them up? Can I go from wifi to ethernet or other type of wire to do the first back up as they are pretty big. So sorry many questions but really appreciate the help!

null-OTHER, OS X Yosemite (10.10.2)

Posted on Mar 28, 2015 12:38 AM

5 replies

Mar 28, 2015 12:49 AM in response to Asholing

Of course you can back up your external drives, providing that they are formatted in HFS+ (it is also known as "Mac OS Extended (Journaled)". Just connect the external drives to your Mac, go to System Preferences -> Time Machine -> Options, and remove them from the excluded items list. You may have to press the padlock at the bottom left part of the Time Machine window in order to do that.

Time capsule and external hard drives

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.