Apple Event: May 7th at 7 am PT

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Remembering Library Password on Ipad Air

I use my ipad to download library boos from the local library. At their suggestion, I downloaded Overdrive (apparently that's the programme you use with the ipad). Now, on my desktop PC, when I enter my password on the library programme, then ask it to remember it, that is what it does. But not on the ipad..

Can anyone tell me how to get the ipad to do the same thing? It just about drives me spare having to copy and paste my card number (TEN numbers) EVERY TIME I want to download a book !!!!

Surely, there's some way of getting the ipad to remember this detail (and yes,I did go to Settings- Password & Autofill- Saved Passwords and it looks like that's where it should be.

Q: How do I get the ipad to remember a specific password?

iPad 2, iOS 8.1.3

Posted on Mar 28, 2015 1:46 AM

6 replies

Mar 28, 2015 5:34 AM in response to johnhb2

On my overdrive app, when I sign in, there's a tick box under the two boxes (the one for the library card number and then for the pin) that says 'remember mylogin info on this device'

I clicked that and when I go to sign in my info is there I just need to tap the 'sign in'

So I don't think you can tell it to remember on the website and have that work globally, it's something you need to set on each device that uses the app.

Mar 28, 2015 11:14 PM in response to Skydiver119

Thanks for that Skydiver119. I have my Overdrive app on the "desktop" on my ipad, so don't generally enter a password there. When I go in there and select a book is when the box asking for my Library Card Number comes up along with the 'remember mylogin info on this device' box WHICH IS TICKED.

Unfortunately, that's the only thing that is- the box is always empty on the ipad!! Interestingly, that's not the case on my desktop PC which, as mentioned, does somehow manage to retain the library card number?!

Another instance of the superiority of PC's versus Apple, I guess.. I agree that you need to tell it on each device, the problem is I don't think Apple knows that!! I can't find anywhere on the Ipad to do that other than where I think it should be, and that is on Settings- Password & Autofill- Saved Passwords and it looks like that's where it should be. I think that's maybe where I need advice.

Q: How do I get the ipad to remember the password- along with all those others stored at the saved passwords location??

Apr 21, 2015 2:08 PM in response to Skydiver119

Hi Skydiver. I'm still no further ahead with using the Overdrive app, in spite of time (about 4 months of solid use) and consultation (at least three of the "experts" appointed by the libraries her). My ipad just WILL NOT REMEMBER my library number. You mention that "On my overdrive app, when I sign in, there's a tick box under the two boxes (the one for the library card number and then for the pin) that says 'remember mylogin info on this device' and that you clicked that and when you went to sign in, your info is there & you just need to tap the 'sign in'.

I can only conclude there are different Overdrive systems floating around because that DOES NOT happen with mine!

I don't really know what to do next as I've spent more time on this issue than I have in using Overdrive. The frustrating thing is I have seen with my own eyes my ipad remembering my number- just once- and I was unable to replicate the process!

Other than on here, I also don't really know where to go to find out more- is it my system or are there others who suffer the same fate as me!

Somehow, I have a feeling that it may be something to do with Settings, but what? In Settings, I've gone from Safari-Passwords & Autofill- Saved Passwords but can't work out how to save the password in there?? ANYONE KNOW?? (I rang apple help but they didn't..)

Apr 21, 2015 2:08 PM in response to johnhb2

I think I'm right there with you. I tried to sign into my overdrive on my iPad and iPod, one runs 7.1.2 the other 8.3 and it worked on both of them.

What I do is sign into the app, then look for books? Not sure how you work it.

I"ve looked in the settings and I can't see anything to change, but something must be different. Is your iPad 'yours' or from someone else? I know if it's from work or school they can set things up to lock out some features. Could be one explanation.

I noticed on the top of my app I see the option to access overdrive via safari, not sure if that'll work for you. Sometimes if you sign in one way it'll respect it in other ways. (WHen I get on my work wifi, the login page will not come up in safari, but if I login via another browser, then it'll work on Safari)

I'm not sure (and can't scroll up to read or I'll lose this text box) if you've tried to uninstall/reinstall the app. Uninstalling should remove everything and maybe remove whatever is getting in your way.

Another place to look and see if others are having an issue is the app reviews. If you change the sort from most helpful to most recent you can see the most up to date comments people are making. Often issues are reflected there and sometimes solutions.

I wish I had a simple fix to offer.

Apr 21, 2015 3:32 PM in response to Skydiver119

Thanks for that skydiver

I also sign into (double click on the icon) the app, then look for books.

First off, I've noticed there are several ways to get to the same place (i.e. the books) which I think is asking for trouble, as they produce differing results- in terms of what you have out, what's available, etc. I'm sure there must be a standard "correct" way??

The ipad is less than a year old, and I'm the only one to use it!

I have tried to access overdrive via Safari- rather than the desktop icon (i.e. Safari- "auckland libraries overdrive"- "available now"- select book and "borrow").

THEN I STILL HAVE TO COPY AND PASTE MY LIBRARY CARD NUMBER WHICH THE IPAD STILL WON'T SAVE.

I don't know what else I can do but whatever I'm doing now, it is WRONG.

I could try uninstalling and re-installing it, but there is a point where I give up on things as being just too ridiculous!!

I will also check out the app reviews once I work out where they are..

Thanks for all your help so far.

Jan 31, 2016 11:06 PM in response to johnhb2

The problem with using Overdrive on iPad remembring continues -- desptite ticking the "remember box" it just does not do.

While my smartphone using Android / overdrive conveniently remembers the 10 digit library membersip number and password and enables easy login.

I think the problem is with the Overdrive library site -- which is opened using Safari when using iPad --

Looks like for some reason, the id/ passwords are not being passed on to the safari app for saving.

Overdrive needs to address this problem in their software side -- the problem is clearly not in the user side.

Remembering Library Password on Ipad Air

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.