Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Motion tracking text with moving camera

Hi all,

I wanna make this effect https://youtu.be/TpLX9uaGX_0 in Motion 5. The clip is made in Adobe AE.

To clarify what I mean: I would like to have text on a surface (or hanging in the air) with a camera that moves and the text is disappearing out of the shot.

Is it possible at all? How? I tried to use "analyze motion" and "match move" but the text isn't stationary, it moves with the camera and gets all warped up as the camera moves and when it's supposed to go out of frame. Do I have to manually key frame it out of the shot?

Thanks!

iMac, OS X Yosemite (10.10.2), i7@2,93GHz, 16GB RAM, 256GB SSD+1TB

Posted on Mar 28, 2015 1:38 AM

6 replies

Mar 28, 2015 2:09 AM in response to Joseph Moudi

This is the clip I'm using: https://youtu.be/xjyD0jKVT2I

I want to have text on the roof of the light grey house to the left, and as the camera moves past it, it will stay on the roof and then disappear as the camera moves along, I hope you understand what I'm trying to do here. 🙂

The text on the roof is supposed to look as it's imprinted on the tiles of the roof. See my screen dump.User uploaded file

Mar 28, 2015 11:47 AM in response to Joseph Moudi

The problem of your example is not, that the object left the frame (just set the tracker point a bit aside, IN the frame), but the distortion of the camera-optics.

I tried some tracker-options, Motion offers, here's one:

User uploaded file

Tracking is fine&easy - but the M5 tracker isn't 3D - look at the roof:

User uploaded file

It's not just a movement, but a 3D-distortion - that's beyond M5 capabilities.

Try TrackX, and this tutorial demoes, how to handle track points leaving the frame

https://vimeo.com/83478858

Mar 29, 2015 11:35 PM in response to Joseph Moudi

… what Ben says … plus:

With TrackX it's drop-dead-easy to accomplish your task - I dare to say, easier than in AE.

AE as part of the CC suite of apps, is an incredible 'mighty' tool, and I never understood, why some compare it with Motion5. M5 main usage is - as far as I understand it - a 'GUI frontend' for the built-in effects of FCPX - and FCPX isn't meant for complex compos, such as set-extensions, 3D-wizzardy, smoke/fire/explosion/dust/fog (my son's voice from another room "We need more explosions!!"…;) ) …

And tracking.

Afaik, and Ben could tell it much more profounded: Apple/FCPX offers intentionally 'just' the overall-basics plus APIs for developers, which care for the special-interests market, such as motionvfx for 3D integration, or coremelt for mocha integration ...

From my hobbyist corner, I would love to see some effects ("… even BIGGER explosions!"… "sh…up son, adults talking!!") integrated ,… rumors/speculations are not allowed on this board, but I think, after so many 'internal', professional updates (multi-cam, broadcast formats, collaboration, …), an 'eyecandy features update' is immanent; FCPX' lil' brother, iMovie, for example offers for 2 versions a built-in White-balance button .... yeah, the pros will howl now "Automated Color Correction?! eeks!!" … but, other apps for instance offer* a clever tool: just hold a standard ColorChecker-board into cam, the software identfies it automatically, and does a first layer of color-correction…

... my 5¢ …

* edit: this isn't a built-in feature of other apps, but a plug-in too .... 😊 my fault

Motion tracking text with moving camera

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.