Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Apple TV painfully slow buffering HD files from iTunes over WiFi

When using Apple TV over WiFi to access my iTunes library everything works well EXCEPT when the video is an HD format file. I convert using SmartConverter to the standard Apple TV setting, and anything that is HD transfers so slowly over to Apple TV that I pause for up to 1/2 an hour (do the chores) and then come back to Apple TV to see that only 15-20 minutes has buffered.

If I connect via Ethernet, it works perfectly well and buffers at a very fast rate so this is ONLY over WiFi and only on files that are HD.

Whilst there are practical solutions (i.e. don't watch HD, or keep the ethernet cable plugged in) that's not the point - I want to watch HD and I don't want an ethernet cable snaking through the house.

I've searched forums and can't see something directly relating to this, so any advice or tips would be really useful.

Thanks

Posted on Mar 28, 2015 2:06 AM

3 replies

Mar 28, 2015 3:10 PM in response to Winston Churchill

Thanks for the suggestion, and hat's what I initially thought - I was running a Belkin modem and router which would drop the ADSL connection from time to time, and with the overall generally poor performance of that unit I decided that was likely the problem.

So, I upgraded that, - I now have a Netgear D6300 which is providing me with 60 mbps at the Apple TV, no connection drop outs or hang ups. I've also changed my ISP from a reseller to a major provider in order to get a more stable overall service (not that that should impact the iTunes to ATV over WiFi)

But the ATV still buffers HD files so slowly.

Using ATV I can stream plenty of material over wifi - Netflix in HD, YouTube in HD, and all other devices around the house (iPads, MacBooks, laptops etc) all stream content over wifi, share the iTunes Library all over the house. Watching non HD tagged movies/tv shows from iTunes is also running well.

So I'm pretty sure it's not the wifi, unless there's some setting I need to adjust ?

Apple TV painfully slow buffering HD files from iTunes over WiFi

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.