Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Upgdaring MacBook Pro to SSD ( HDD)

Hello,

so I have MacBook Pro mid 2012 13" and I was thinking about upgrading my HDD to SSD. But I also came up with an idea of removing the CD-ROM (because I don't use it at all) and putting HDD instead of CD-ROM. So my macbook would have SSD and HDD at the same time. I could install OS X and all the other apps into SSD and keep my movies, music etc. on my HDD. I know this is possible, but I have one question: what are the cons of doing this? I mean maybe my battery won't last that long or something like that? Is there anything I should know before upgrading my macbook to SSD+HDD?

MacBook Pro, OS X Yosemite (10.10.2)

Posted on Mar 28, 2015 3:33 AM

7 replies

Mar 28, 2015 4:13 AM in response to arnsa

Arnsa. Upgrading the HDD is easy. I do upgrades for macbook pro after warranty. I do a brand. You can purchase mx100 mx200 from crucial. In my computer i purchase the SSD370 from transcend. Just do a clean install, using a USB boot. Do the format and install. Before doing all these, disconnect find my mac, sign off Imessege, face time. sign off itunes, book and app store. before installing the ssd. Since all of your password and safari links is on apple cloud services those can be get back.

Regarding replaicing the cd rom drive, get the OWC caddy. Here is the trick. Check if your MBP can work with 6gb/s on the bay. you can check it in About these mac, then System Report, go to SATTA/SATA Express, there you will find 2 devices. The first one is the main drive. the second is dvd drive data conector. If it said Negotiated Link Speed 6 Gigabit, you can add any mechanical drive or SDD. If it said 3 Gigabit, you have 2 options there, add a 3 Gigabit HDD. Be sure is native 3 Gigabit drive. On my instlaions, adding a 6 cause problems. I add drive that said backwards to 3 Gigabits, and still have problems. You can search those on Amazons.

Mar 28, 2015 12:13 PM in response to arnsa

Yep!.

Just to be safe and get a SSD for the caddy with OWC in 3 Gigabit. And there are bundles (caddy and ssd). If you installing that, follow the instruction by the letter.

All mechanical drive that try to install there that said 6 Gigaits backwards to 3Gibabits, got problems on the reading making crach on low speed and other just do not work. Specially when you are accessing those a lot like Itunes library, etc. In my computer I add a seagate momentum 750 gb 7500rpm in 3 Gibatit native. And works PERFECT in my computer, that is as same as yours. I add the one that i take out from factory, formatted and got reading speed, disconnect, and other new, brands, and those all crash, on any computer, on any model. get SSD 3gbxs.

go safe and if you want to get a ssd with caddy where the cd is, go like these.

On the main drive, the use of he MX100 on both 3 and 6 port is perfect. I just i do not know why is not posible in cdrom bay!

Mar 28, 2015 2:21 PM in response to Carlos De Bernard

First of all, please, try to talk a little more fluently, because it's really hard to understand what are you trying to say. If I understood correctly, I'll be installing SSD in the HDD's place and I'll install this HDD from MacBook instead of CD-ROM.

Btw, why this guide still recommends buying 6gb/s SSD? Maybe there're really no problems with 6gb/s SSDs? Upgrading Your MacBook Pro with a Solid State Drive

Upgdaring MacBook Pro to SSD ( HDD)

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.