Want to highlight a helpful answer? Upvote!

Did someone help you, or did an answer or User Tip resolve your issue? Upvote by selecting the upvote arrow. Your feedback helps others! Learn more about when to upvote >

Newsroom Update

Apple is introducing a new Apple Watch Pride Edition Braided Solo Loop, matching watch face, and dynamic iOS and iPadOS wallpapers as a way to champion global movements to protect and advance equality for LGBTQ+ communities. Learn more >

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Ive been given an second hand 4s, and my mom(previous owner) cant remember her passwords. How can I erase it?

So, this is the deal.

My mom gave me her 4s, and I need to delete her contents, and replace with mine.

She cant remember her passcodes, so Im in a bit of a situation.

Is theree any solutions to this, or do I just have to throw my new, beautiful phone away?

iPhone 4S

Posted on Mar 28, 2015 4:23 AM

4 replies

Mar 30, 2015 3:17 AM in response to Ralph9430

Yeah, I tried that. Thanx.

But, her email has not been in use for a while, and therefor it has been de-activated by microsoft.

So, I have no way to get into the email and reset passwords. Her Apple ID has now been deactivated, cause of too many login attempts, and to get it reset I need to get into the not-excisting email account mentioned earlier.

So I guess Im just wondering: Am I screwed on this phone?

Ive been browsing thru numerous sites, and havent found any positive info on this subject.

Thank you very much for your answer and time!

Mar 30, 2015 3:40 AM in response to Doooff

So there are two possible problems here.

If you're stuck on the passcode lockout (4 digit number typically used to unlock the phone), you just need to wipe the phone in recovery mode. To do that, get a computer with iTunes, turn the phone off, hold the home button down while you plug it into the computer, keep holding the home button until you get the iTunes logo on the screen of the phone. Then open up iTunes on the computer, select the phone, and a popup will ask if you want to update or restore, choose restore.

Another possible issue is if it is locked to your mom's iCloud account; keep in mind both of these things can be true. You will be able to tell if it's stuck to her iCloud account, if after you restore it, you get asked to log in with your Apple ID, and when you do it tells you that the Apple ID you used cannot be used to activate this device. If that is the case and her email account that was used for the Apple ID is no longer in service, your best and only real bet is to have your mom call AppleCare and see if they can help get that password reset.

Ive been given an second hand 4s, and my mom(previous owner) cant remember her passwords. How can I erase it?

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.