Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

iCloud Drive shows 'Encrypted Folder' and 'Encrypted File' instead of correct folder and files names

On my 2014 MBA (10.10.2), I added a group of folders and files to iCloud Drive in Finder by dragging and dropping. I do not use disk encryption. The files are of various types (mostly jpeg/pdf, and a few docx). I can see the files when I login to iCloud.com, they are not showing as encrypted. But on my iPad2 8.2 the folders and files show as Encrypted Files and Folders (Settings-iCloud-Storage-Manage Storage-Other Documents (under Documents and Data). I have tried opening these with "authorized apps" on the iPad2, but the apps don't see these files. Two questions: 1. Why are these showing as encrypted, i have no idea what is on the iPad2?; and 2. Once I can get an answer to 1., will I be able to open these jpeg and pdf files on the iPad2. Thanks.

iPad 2, iOS 8.2

Posted on Mar 28, 2015 3:11 AM

8 replies

Mar 30, 2015 11:59 AM in response to fromsouth

Sorry we aren't communicating. This doesn't have anything to do with a program being associated with the file. No regular app can open an encrypted file. Here is the final outcome. For some reason, after 2 days, these files now show up as unencrypted files in iCloud Drive on the iPad. That is they now match up by name and extension with what I have on the MBA in Finder. There is no explanation except that iCloud Drive is buggy.

iCloud Drive shows 'Encrypted Folder' and 'Encrypted File' instead of correct folder and files names

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.