Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

IDrive

Hi everyone

I was hoping someone could help me please.

If i drop all my work in my design folder into the icloud drive folder on my mac has this in effect been backed up? Also I cannot view the files when looking at with a browser they are indesign files, photoshop, illustrator etc.. Am I doing something wrong?

Thanks in advance

Paul

IMAC G5, Mac OS X (10.4.8)

Posted on Mar 28, 2015 6:19 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Mar 28, 2015 6:40 AM

If i drop all my work in my design folder into the icloud drive folder on my mac has this in effect been backed up?

No, that is not a backup. You have moved your only copy of the files to iCloud.

If you have Time Machine enabled to keep regular backups, the backup will include your iCloud Drive documents. Are you using Time Machine routinely? Otherwise you will have to take care to include your iCloud Drive documents into any backup scheme you are using.

Also I cannot view the files when looking at with a browser they are indesign files, photoshop, illustrator etc.. Am I doing something wrong?

Where are you looking, Paull? If you open iCloud Drive on your Mac in the Finder, you should see any documents you dropped there,and you should be able to navigate to iCloud Drive in the File Chooser panel (in the side bar), when you open a document in PhotoShop, etc.

Like this, in Photoshop CS6:

User uploaded file

4 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Mar 28, 2015 6:40 AM in response to samsara0900

If i drop all my work in my design folder into the icloud drive folder on my mac has this in effect been backed up?

No, that is not a backup. You have moved your only copy of the files to iCloud.

If you have Time Machine enabled to keep regular backups, the backup will include your iCloud Drive documents. Are you using Time Machine routinely? Otherwise you will have to take care to include your iCloud Drive documents into any backup scheme you are using.

Also I cannot view the files when looking at with a browser they are indesign files, photoshop, illustrator etc.. Am I doing something wrong?

Where are you looking, Paull? If you open iCloud Drive on your Mac in the Finder, you should see any documents you dropped there,and you should be able to navigate to iCloud Drive in the File Chooser panel (in the side bar), when you open a document in PhotoShop, etc.

Like this, in Photoshop CS6:

User uploaded file

Mar 28, 2015 7:06 AM in response to léonie

Thank you léonie

I do use time machine regularly so I can set that up.

What I was concerned about was say my hard internal drive died would I be able to access my work files in the idrive.

Does anything you put in the drive on my mac get mirrored?

Sorry if these questions seem dumb.

I do back up to externals aswell but was hoping to get 2TB storage a month as a belt and braces as an extra backup.

Am I barking up the wrong tree here?

Kind Regards

Paul

Mar 28, 2015 7:09 AM in response to samsara0900

samsara0900 wrote:

Thank you léonie

I do use time machine regularly so I can set that up.

A standard Time Machine installation will include the iCloud drive files in a backup, no additional setup is required. Everything on the iCloud drive is mirrored to a local folder (~/library/mobile documents)

iCloud is not and should not be used as a backup, you should look at the real iDrive for an online backup service (Apple do not have a service called iDrive)

Mar 28, 2015 9:03 AM in response to samsara0900

I do back up to externals as well but was hoping to get 2TB storage a month as a belt and braces as an extra backup.

Csound1 already answered most of your question. How large is the system drive of your iMac? Since all files on iCloud Drive will have shadow copies in a hidden folder in your user library on the system drive, you cannot store more on iCloud Drive than can be mirrored on your system drive. So you will need 2TB of free storage on your Mac to use 2TB on iCloud Drive.

Time Machine will backup iCloud Drive, so you can restore the files using Time Machine.

And you can always access the files from the iCloud Drive app on https://www.icloud.com/, even if your Mac should die.

IDrive

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.