Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Duplicate Annihilator Process order removed

Hi, Can someone help me to understand this? Here is my Q&A with Duplicate Annihilator support.

Me: Hi,Where is Process Order in my new edition of DA for iphoto it seems to have disappeared?

DA support:thank you for your email. Process order has been removed instead Duplicate Annihilator analyze each set of detected duplicates and keep the photo with the highest resolution/largest file size as the original.

Me:Thanks for the reply. Could you kindly clarify something for me. We want to be certain that the retained photo is the one that has been edited most recently. Will this be the case.?

Artio

iMac, Mac OS X (10.6.8)

Posted on Mar 28, 2015 2:58 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Mar 28, 2015 4:02 AM

Here's what they say:

Duplicate Annihilator...keep[s] the photo with the highest resolution/largest file size as the original.

Which is not necessarily the same as your requirement

the one that has been edited most recently

It could be but there is no way to be sure. Simply, they're keeping the highest quality version, your requirement takes no account of quality at all.

4 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Mar 28, 2015 4:02 AM in response to Artio

Here's what they say:

Duplicate Annihilator...keep[s] the photo with the highest resolution/largest file size as the original.

Which is not necessarily the same as your requirement

the one that has been edited most recently

It could be but there is no way to be sure. Simply, they're keeping the highest quality version, your requirement takes no account of quality at all.

Mar 28, 2015 4:41 AM in response to Artio

If you have a lot of photos to sweep, you might try a different tool - Photo Sweeper. But it is not a free app.

Photo Sweeper gives you more control over the rules, which photos to mark for deletion

You can change the priorities of the rules to favour the newer photos by setting the preferences:

User uploaded fileUser uploaded file

This app is safe to use. It just marks the photos for manual deletion or moves them to iPhoto's Trash and does not modify the library directly.

Mar 28, 2015 10:30 AM in response to Artio

What you can do is create a smart album with the criteria Photo is Edited.

User uploaded file

This will give you access to all edited photo from where you can batch give them a rating, keyword or description. I used a rating of 5 stars in my test.

When DA has scanned and added "dup" to the description of all of the found duplicates

User uploaded file

you can create two more smart albums with the criteria:

Smart Album 1

Descriptions contains dup

This will show all photos that DA found.

Smart Album 2 - duplicated photos.

Descriptions contains dup

Rating is 5 stars

This will show all photos that DA identified as a a duplicate and you gave a 5 start rating to.

Now a 3rd Smart Album with the criteria:

User uploaded file
will give you those photos that were found to be duplicates but were edited photos. To remove them from the Album #2 change the rating of those photos. They will drop out of Smart Album 2.

You'll have to find the other copy of those edited photos and manually delete them.

Now you can select the photos in Smart Album #2 and use the Command+Options+Delete key combination to move them to the iPhoto Trash bin. Empty the trash bin and they're gone from the library. Don't forget to empty the Trash bin in the Dock to remove them from the hard drive.

User uploaded file

Mar 29, 2015 8:50 AM in response to Old Toad

Thanks to all for your help. Here is my latest exchange with DA.

Hi,Will DA allow me to find the most recently edited version of each photo in my iphoto (not necessarily the best version). I want to keep the ones that all the editing has been done on.

thank you for your email. Duplicate Annihilator will keep the photo with the best quality. It is an interesting idea to make in an option to keep the one with the most metadata, I’ll tell our developer to have a look at it.

Duplicate Annihilator Process order removed

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.