Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

how do I detect and remove malware from my iMac

My iMac has MacAfee internet security software installed and regularly updated by BT. In more than one occasion MacAfee reported that Maleware has been detected and removed. But I have notice my iMac speed is slowing in the last weeks.

I think there is still malware in the system and wondering if there is an efficient way to detect and remove Maleware from iMac.

iMac, OS X Yosemite (10.10.2)

Posted on Mar 28, 2015 7:30 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Mar 28, 2015 7:58 AM

elhigzi ~ Welcome to the Support Communities. See if this article helps...

Mac Malware Guide: Am I infected?

...I use the following:

Bitdefender Virus Scanner

AdwareMedic

User uploaded file

3 replies

Mar 28, 2015 8:35 AM in response to elhigzi

Get rid of McAfee. It's terrible on the Mac, and is likely the cause of the problems you're having. Use whatever uninstaller is provided by McAfee... do not simply drag the app to the trash, as that will not remove it properly!

As for the malware that was found, that was extremely unlikely to be anything that would have affected your Mac. It was most likely Windows malware attached to e-mail messages in Mail, and allowing McAfee to remove it may have corrupted your mailboxes. You should rebuild all your mailboxes (select each one, one at a time, and choose Rebuilt from the Mailbox menu), and in the future, if you install any other anti-virus software (which I don't recommend), do not allow it to remove any "malware" that it claims to find! Instead, see:

How to remove infected files

For more information on this kind of thing, see my Mac Malware Guide.

(Fair disclosure: I may receive compensation from links to my sites, TheSafeMac.com and AdwareMedic.com.)

how do I detect and remove malware from my iMac

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.