Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Airport extreme won't connect because firmware V7.3.1 or later rqd?

I have brought another extreme for my home network, Tring to connect it but it will not let me because it is saying

"This version of Airport Utility requires this airport extreme use firmware version 7.3.1 or later. Go to airport service and support for more info"

MacBook Pro, OS X Mavericks (10.9.5)

Posted on Mar 28, 2015 8:29 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Mar 28, 2015 8:43 AM

An AirPort Extreme that requires firmware version 7.3.1 is an AirPort Extreme that is at least 7 years old. It will need to be setup by a Mac running an older version of the operating system.....either Leopard (10.5.x) or Snow Leopard (10.6.x).

You might want to return the product and request a newer version.....something running at least firmware 7.6.1 or higher.

3 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Mar 28, 2015 8:43 AM in response to S13_Dan

An AirPort Extreme that requires firmware version 7.3.1 is an AirPort Extreme that is at least 7 years old. It will need to be setup by a Mac running an older version of the operating system.....either Leopard (10.5.x) or Snow Leopard (10.6.x).

You might want to return the product and request a newer version.....something running at least firmware 7.6.1 or higher.

Mar 28, 2015 11:55 AM in response to S13_Dan

Borrow a Mac or PC for 10 minutes that has AirPort Utility 5.x installed on the device so you can update the ancient AirPort Extreme.

Or, take the ancient AirPort Extreme to an Apple store and ask them to update it for you.

Then, you can use the new operating system that you have now to administer the ancient AirPort as long as it lasts. Since it was designed to only work for about 5 years, that may not be long, but good luck.

Airport extreme won't connect because firmware V7.3.1 or later rqd?

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.