Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Is it possible to connector a mini display port monitor to a thunderbolt monitor for dual displays?

Can I daisy chain 2012 Mac Mini --> Thunderbolt 27" Cinema Monitor --> Display Port 27" Cinema Monitor to achieve two monitor set-up?

Posted on Mar 28, 2015 6:15 AM

8 replies

Mar 28, 2015 9:09 AM in response to jjenkins37

Just where did yo read that?

Here

Thunderbolt ports and displays: Frequently asked questions (FAQ) - Apple Support

Apple says

5. Can I connect a Mini DisplayPort display to my Apple Thunderbolt Display for computers that support using more than one display?

Mini DisplayPort displays will not function if connected to the Thunderbolt port of an Apple Thunderbolt Display. Displays connected via Mini DisplayPort video adapter or cable to the Thunderbolt port of an Apple Thunderbolt Display will not work.

Mar 28, 2015 9:27 AM in response to lllaass

...understood and is consistent with I read on the support forums...however, I located the the information in the following article from 2011...

http://www.engadget.com/2011/09/18/thunderbolt-display-daisy-chaining-spec-clear ed-up/

...there is more detail on this page...

http://www.macworld.com/article/1162365/first_look_apple_thunderbolt_display.htm l

...seems odd that adding a TB peripheral in the middle clears the path...sounds like something is not implemented on apple's side...

I assume that I could use two ports on the back of the mini, but the problem is just that...using two ports and diminishing the connectivity to the mini...

Sep 3, 2015 6:03 PM in response to jjenkins37

I can confirm this on a MacBook Pro 2015.

Plugging in an older display port monitor into the back of a Thunderbolt 27" will not work.

MBP ---- TB 27" Monitor --- Display Port monitor

will not show anything on the display port monitor

But if you do put a dual port peripheral in between (such as a hard disk in my case). The display port monitor will work.

MBP ---- TB 27" Monitor --- Thunderbolt HD with 2 ports --- Display Port monitor.

Is it possible to connector a mini display port monitor to a thunderbolt monitor for dual displays?

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.