Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

many online sites say no longer support .... using Snow Leopard 10.6.8 on mac mini. What do I do?

Many online sites for insurance, banking, etc. say they no longer support my system. I use Snow Leopard that came with my Mac Mini and it's update if I go to the "software update" which is 10.6.8. What do I do?

Mac mini (Late 2009), Mac OS X (10.6.8), What do I update to to be current?

Posted on Mar 28, 2015 9:15 AM

1 reply

Mar 28, 2015 9:20 AM in response to lhjc

Your Mac Mini is capable of being upgraded to Yosemite (free in the Mac App Store). The specified minimum of RAM is 2GB but you are likely to find it runs very slowly on that, with a lot of beachballing. I don't know what the maximum RAM is but you should consider installing extra if you can. Even so you may well find it's rather slow - Yosemite is really optimized for modern Macs running SSDs.

Snow Leopard isn't getting any more security updates by the look of things, so there's a lot to be said for upgrading it. However if you install the latest FireFox (36.0.4) that will run on Snow Leopard and should at least solve the inaccessible sites problem.

If you do decide to go for Yosemite you should make comprehensive backups: I would advise if possible cloning the entire Mac to an external hard disk, so that if you find you don't like Yosemite you can clone back and be no worse off. Otherwise downgrading is frankly a pain to do.

many online sites say no longer support .... using Snow Leopard 10.6.8 on mac mini. What do I do?

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.