Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Slow speeds between devices

My Macbook Pro (late 2013) and iMac (mid 2011) are getting wildly different download speeds while in the same room using an Airport Extreme. They can be similar speeds, at least 1/3 of the day, but they vary the rest. I do use my airport express on the 1st floor as an extender, but the differences are not just when on different floors.

I have changed channels which sometimes helps, but sometimes does not. I have Xfinity, but I have confirmed speeds from that by hardwiring to the desktop to test.

Why the variability for my devices? The desktop is older than the laptop. The airport extreme is 3-4 years old. What can I do to improve my speeds?

MacBook Pro

Posted on Mar 28, 2015 8:52 AM

3 replies

Mar 28, 2015 9:07 AM in response to hbduffy

The only way that you can compare the speeds on two wireless devices is locate both of them close together and run a few speed checks.

In other words, both wireless devices need to be receiving the exact same signal.....or as close as possible....to make any meaningful comparison at all. If I have two devices not located in the same place, but they are in the same room, I get very different results for each device.

Wireless is, and always has been a combination of half science and half voodoo, so virtually anything can, and often will occur when wireless is involved.

Mar 28, 2015 9:10 AM in response to Bob Timmons

Thanks, Bob. I actually have them side-by-side next to my extreme. So each is about 6-8 inches from the extreme.

I have done about 20 speed tests over the last hour, and they have varied in combination of mbps-- desktop 59, laptop 3, desktop 58 and laptop 34, desktop and laptop 30. Then I hardwired the desktop and got 59. Then I went to the extreme again and got 31 and 27 for the two devices. Five minutes later both are at 59.

I am starting to think my airport is the problem.

Mar 28, 2015 9:20 AM in response to hbduffy

So each is about 6-8 inches from the extreme.

Much, much too close. One, or both computers are likely receiving more than they can handle, so they are overloaded.

You would not want a wireless device closer than a few feet to the wireless router.

Speed variations are normal. Don't forget that there are other wireless networks around you that are affecting things, as well as cordless phones, and any number of other devices. Things will change....all the time.

Relax and enjoy your network.

Slow speeds between devices

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.