Apple Event: May 7th at 7 am PT

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

How do I transfer my Photos to a new machine?

I just bought an iMac. How do I transfer my Photos from my old MacBook Pro?

Thank you.

Posted on Mar 28, 2015 8:54 AM

7 replies

Mar 28, 2015 8:58 AM in response to bluespower21

Your new Mac will ask you if you want to transfer anything from another Mac, PC or a backup during the first startup, so just follow the steps. See -> https://support.apple.com/en-us/HT204350

If you have to transfer a huge amount of data, I would recommend you to connect both Macs with a FireWire or Thunderbolt cable (depending on your MacBook Pro model, and you may need adapters) or make a backup of your old Mac with Time Machine and use it on your new iMac to transfer your photos. This is because Wi-Fi and Ethernet transfers are very slow.

Mar 28, 2015 9:00 AM in response to bluespower21

Put the iPhoto library onto an external HD or if it fits onto a flash drive you can use that, then connect the media to the new machine and drag it over to ~/Pictures, the ~ is your home folder.

If you want to migrate all the apps, settings and files on the MBP then back it us using Time Machine and after it's done backing up, connect to the iMac and run Migration Assistant (Applications - Utilities - Migration Assistant).

Mar 28, 2015 11:25 AM in response to bluespower21

Likely because you did not follow the directions provided. What file format are the files in on the MBP? If they are JPG or Raw then then will come over as such assuming you do a simple drag and drop. You can also connect the two machines together using Firewire Target Mode however you will need a Thunderbolt cable and a Thunderbolt to FW adapter and that assumes the MBP has FW.

How do I transfer my Photos to a new machine?

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.