Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Preparing my photo library for the beta Photos is taking the better part of a week. Is this normal?

The process of "preparing" my photo library for the beta Photos is taking the better part of a week. Is this normal? I have around 2000 photos the iPhoto library I am uploading.

MacBook Pro with Retina display, OS X Yosemite (10.10.2)

Posted on Mar 28, 2015 8:11 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Mar 28, 2015 11:18 AM

How are you preparing the library? The only thing I would do to prepare for converting to Photos once it's released would be the following:

1 - launch iPhoto with the Command+Option keys held down to open the First Aid window. Be sure to follow the circled recommendation in the screenshot.

User uploaded file

2 - run Option #1, Repair Permissions.

3 - run Option #4, Rebuild Database.

Do this just prior to launching Photos for the first time.

User uploaded file

4 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Mar 28, 2015 11:18 AM in response to GBJerry

How are you preparing the library? The only thing I would do to prepare for converting to Photos once it's released would be the following:

1 - launch iPhoto with the Command+Option keys held down to open the First Aid window. Be sure to follow the circled recommendation in the screenshot.

User uploaded file

2 - run Option #1, Repair Permissions.

3 - run Option #4, Rebuild Database.

Do this just prior to launching Photos for the first time.

User uploaded file

Mar 28, 2015 12:42 PM in response to Old Toad

Thanks OT. By preparing I was referring to the notation in the Photos Beta app that I was installing. That was probably a mistake, as it now seems. It said that it - the app - was preparing my library, which I took to mean that it was uploading full resolution images to the cloud and economy thumbnails for my computer. After a couple of days waiting for this process to complete I began to wonder if I had taken a wrong turn. I have never had trouble with a beta app but this may be a first. Thank you for your suggestions. Jerry H

Preparing my photo library for the beta Photos is taking the better part of a week. Is this normal?

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.