Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Contact Data is Completely Scrambled

I am using the most recent version of software and suddenly my contacts are completely scrambled. I noticed a few weeks ago that a couple of email names were wrong. The summary column on the left showed one name, but when I opened the email, it was from a completely different person. I checked my contacts and that is where the problem lies.

The names that have gotten scrambled have nothing in common (e.g., one name DN got combined with one with the initials JH). I also now have a bunch of people in there that I never added and have no idea who they are. It is mostly emails, but I don't know if the phone numbers for these people are actually their numbers on numbers that belong to some legitimate contact that I need and were incorrectly merged with these contacts, so I can't delete them.

I found an old thread on this, but the address book is not in the directory suggested, so I can't try that solution. I don't know when the problem started, so don't even know if I have back ups that old.

I do not have any social media accounts, nor did I accidentally hit 3 keys at once (even if I did, the names that got merged should not have been).

Does anyone have a proposed solution to this mess?

Mac Pro, OS X Yosemite (10.10.2)

Posted on Mar 28, 2015 7:50 AM

1 reply

Mar 28, 2015 9:19 AM in response to abcdefghijklmnopqrstuvwxyzab

Go to Finder and select your user/home folder. With that Finder window as the front window, either select Finder/View/Show View options or go command - J. When the View options opens, check ’Show Library Folder’. That should make your user library folder visible in your user/home folder. Select Library/Application Support/AddressBook. Enter your backup and restore.

Contact Data is Completely Scrambled

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.