Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

'about this mac' not working

Does anyone else have an issue with the 'About this Mac' function?

I simply want to see how much memory I have left so I clicked on the 'Apple' then clicked 'About this Mac' as normal but there is absolutely no response?

Is there a keyboard shortcut I can use?

I have a 2011 iMAC Intel with Yosemite OS X installed and have had no issues with anything up until last night.

iMac, OS X Yosemite (10.10.2)

Posted on Mar 28, 2015 9:28 AM

6 replies

Apr 2, 2015 4:26 AM in response to pmiles

I tried this the other day and i got the following messages:

ACL missing on Apps/Utilities

&

SUID File System/library/CoreS...has been modified and will not be repaired

I have no idea what they mean!

I've also cleared off any third party extensions and apps/software that I didn't need/want or use but still it doesn't work.

Aside from that nothing has changed so I've no idea why it doesn't work.

Thanks for the idea though.

Mar 31, 2015 6:46 AM in response to robf08afc

Hey robf08afc,

Thanks for the question. If I understand correctly, you are not able to open About This Mac from the Menu bar. I would recommend that you read this article, it may be able to help the issue.

You can try starting in Safe Mode, it might be another program interfering.

OS X: What is Safe Boot, Safe Mode? - Apple Support

Follow these steps to start up into Safe Mode.

1. Be sure your Mac is shut down.
  2. Press the power button.
  3. Immediately after you hear the startup sound, press and hold the Shift key. The Shift key should be pressed as soon as possible after startup, but not before the startup sound.
  4. Release the Shift key when you see the Apple logo appear on the screen.

After the Apple logo appears, it may take longer than usual to reach the login screen. This is because your computer is performing a directory check as part of Safe Mode.

Thanks for using Apple Support Communities.

Have a good one,

Mario

Apr 1, 2015 8:27 AM in response to robf08afc

While this doesn't fix your problem, System Information is in your Utilities folder located in your Applications folder, so Applications > Utilities > System Information.

Have you tried repairing permissions using Disk Utility? Usually doesn't do anything, but sometimes repairing permissions and a reboot can do the trick.

Do you have any third party software installed that may be altering the behavior of OS X? Such as custom windows, cursors, and the like? Virus Protection software? Security Software? Any clean up utilities? These have all been known to break the OS.

Apr 2, 2015 5:20 AM in response to robf08afc

Easy to do, but takes some time:

restart the mac while holding CMD+R: it starts (slow) in the Recovery partition.

then choose "install OSX": it will download the your os again (yosemite, latest update), and install it; this will take some time, depending on the speed and quality of your internet connection. This will leave your user data untouched, so that you can go on where you were after the restart it does. But of course you have backups (!!) when something unexpected happens.

Lex

'about this mac' not working

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.