Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

MacBook Pro crashes when charging when charger moves!

Lately my MacBook Pro has started crashing when it's charging. At first I thought it was completely random, but it seems to be when the bit that the connects the charger to the laptop moves, even if it's just the slightest bit. It crashes instantly, sometimes won't turn on for a while and when it finally does, the date and time have been reset to the 1st of January, 2001, 00:00 (this happens most of the time but not always).

After it crashes sometimes the charger light won't be on, indicating that it is not charging, and the laptop won't turn on until it is charging again, even if it does have battery power left. The laptop works fine when not charging.

So far I've just been trying to not use my laptop while it's charging and use it when it's not charging to prevent it from crashing mid-use, but it's becoming quite inconvenient. I'm a student so I would prefer to see if I can find a solution before going to the Apple Store as I don't want to spend money on fixing it if there's a way of doing it for free.

Here are some details about my laptop and the OS etc.:

OS X Yosemite version 10.10.2

Processor: 2,66 GHz Intel Core 2 Duo

Memory: 4 GB 1067 MHz DDR3

I would really appreciate some help because I have no idea how to fix this. I've checked everywhere online but can't find anything. Let me know if there's some information you need to help me identify and hopefully solve the problem.

Thanks!

MacBook Pro, OS X Yosemite (10.10.2)

Posted on Mar 28, 2015 8:34 AM

3 replies

Mar 28, 2015 9:12 AM in response to zoeleigh07

While on, hold down the option key while clicking on the battery icon. It will tell you the battery condition. You should have the battery icon set to show percentage of charge. Try an SMC reset.https://support.apple.com/en-us/HT201295 Also check your mag safe connection. https://support.apple.com/en-us/HT203207 If none of this works, take it into an apple store and have it tested.

MacBook Pro crashes when charging when charger moves!

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.