Want to highlight a helpful answer? Upvote!

Did someone help you, or did an answer or User Tip resolve your issue? Upvote by selecting the upvote arrow. Your feedback helps others! Learn more about when to upvote >

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

How to login to headless filevault-encrypted MacMini?

My setup is a headless filevault-encrypted Mac Mini (mid-2014) connected via thunderbolt to my iMac (mid-2011), both on 10.10.2.

Target display mode works well when I am logged in on the Mac Mini, i.e. I see the Mac Mini's desktop on my iMac.

However, when I logout or want to switch users, I cannot see the Mac Mini's log-in screen on the iMac.

That is, I cannot log-in to my headless filevault-encrypted Mac Mini without monitor.

Upon Apple Support's recommendation, filevault on the Mac Mini was enabled on the Mac Mini while connected via thunderbolt to my iMac.

However, this did not help. It only works without filevault enabled - but then I loose the desired encryption.

Ideally, I'd like to use screen sharing via ethernet to log-in to my headless Mac Mini - again this only works without the desired filevault-encryption.

What can I do to log-in to my filevault-encrypted headless Mac Mini (i.e. without monitor)?

Mac mini, OS X Yosemite (10.10.2), null

Posted on Mar 28, 2015 9:30 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Mar 28, 2015 3:30 PM

To start up over the network from a cold shutdown is impossible, even if someone is available to push the power button. There is a way to restart and unlock FileVault automatically on some models, but that doesn't seem to be the question.

1 reply

How to login to headless filevault-encrypted MacMini?

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.