Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

How do I add another computer to Time Capsule

I have Time Machine Up and running on my desktop computer. I have 2.56T available on Time Capsule and want to add two more Macs to be backed up. How do I go about that? I don't even know where to start. I can't even remember setting it up when I first purchased Time Capsule.

Any help would be appreciated.

Posted on Mar 28, 2015 10:28 AM

10 replies

Mar 28, 2015 1:23 PM in response to RiverLover

OK, thanks again for the information. I'm a bit confused when you say that one of the Macs is connected as a "guest". Since the Time Capsule has the ability to provide both a "main" and "guest" network, in order for your Mac(s) to back up, they must be connected to the "main" or private network.

As soon as you can confirm things, we will get the first Mac backing up to the Time Capsule. You would want to locate the Mac close to the Time Capsule for the first "master" backup to speed the process. Once you have the first backup done, then you move the Mac around normally since the hourly backups will only take a few minutes.

When the first Mac has completed its first "master" backup, then you can start the backup for the second Mac, which should also be close to the Time Capsule for this process.

I'm not sure about the info above to have AirPort Utility open. This is not needed. We'll provide the instructions for you when you are ready.

Mar 28, 2015 1:31 PM in response to Bob Timmons

Yes, the first computer I want to back up is named on the list of wireless clients. Also, there is a list of other wireless clients that have numbers associated with them "192.168.." and two with "04:15:52:..." and "84:38:.." One of these may be the other computer I'd like to have backed up. The other may be an old MacBook that bit the dust.

Okay, I am ready to start. The computer is in the same room as the time capsule.

Mar 28, 2015 1:38 PM in response to RiverLover

On the Mac that you want to back up......

Open System Preferences (gear icon on the dock)

Open Time Machine

Turn Time Machine ON

Click Select Backup Disk

Click the Time Capsule disk (which is likely named Data unless you changed the name) to highlight it

Click Use Disk

The backup will start in a few minutes. Give it plenty of time to complete, as it will likely take 3-4 hours.

How do I add another computer to Time Capsule

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.