Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Can you upgrade the HDD in a 2015 MacBook Pro?

Considering buying a MacBook Pro 13" as a replacement for a MacBook Air (it's not much heavier and has lots of RAM, force pad, retina display, etc for similar money).

While the premium for 256GB SSD over 128GB is just £150 on the Air, it seems to be a whopping £200 on the Pro. I guess that's just marketing knowing that they can get away with it.

With SSD prices falling (and I know that these new MacBook SSDs are proprietary and very fast) I was wondering about going with the 128GB to start with and then upgrading in a year or two to a 512GB or 1TB module.

I'm not necessarily expecting this to be a DIY job, and probably something that Apple wouldn't do (for financial/marketing reasons), but maybe something that a computer repair shop would be able to do for very little money + cost of parts.

Anyway, the main question is whether or not Apple have tried to stop it (eg by soldering the SSD onto the logic board or something equally crazy).

Posted on Mar 28, 2015 10:35 AM

11 replies

Mar 30, 2015 3:05 AM in response to Alexander Lake

Alexander Lake wrote:

Yes, but I suspect that's just a matter of time.

I agree, but when is the question. To date I have seen nothing from OWC or Transcend.

Also, I suspect that those older modules will work, just that they may not be as quick as the latest Apple ones (which are incredible!)

Why don't you try it and tell me what the results are. It's your money. 😁

Ciao.

Mar 30, 2015 5:53 AM in response to Alexander Lake

Not so fast! OWC was very quick to offer SSD upgrades for each retina MBP until the 2014 model. More than a year has passed and there’s still no 2014 upgrade. The 2015 model came out and no 2014 upgrade - no 2015 upgrade. That suggests the newer models have some proprietary connection or controlling chip that third party vendors cannot replicate.

Can you upgrade the HDD in a 2015 MacBook Pro?

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.