Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Remote acting as if buttons are held down

Apple TV 2nd Gen. This morning I turned on my apple tv, and noticed the white light did not immediately light up. I use a Bose universal remote control to control my apple tv, and has always worked fine. I pressed the down arrow, and the apple tv acted as if i was HOLDING down the button, when this wasn't the case. The screen began to scroll down fast until I hit the up arrow button to stop this. This is happening with every direction button, and the select button.

I managed to get the cursor into the settings> general, and did a restart. After restart, same issue. I then manually disconnected the power and the let it sit for 10min. Plugged back in and still the same issue. I also have the original Apple TV remote and the same thing is happening with both remotes. I don't believe this is a remote/IR issue. I changed batteries in both remotes.

As a final attempt, I tried to use my iphone 6 with the Remote App. This shows Apple TV as an option to select on my phone, but when actually selecting the option, nothing happens. It usually briefly says connecting, and within seconds I get the arrow screen on remote so that I can begin controlling. The app could be other wifi related issues, but the issue I'm trying to solve right now is with the actual remote controls and IR. These should not be wifi related. I also managed to get to the software screen and all software is up to date.

Any ideas?

AppleTV 2, iOS 8.2

Posted on Mar 28, 2015 10:14 AM

3 replies

Mar 28, 2015 1:19 PM in response to Bmck2006

Welcome to the Apple Community.

Try the following steps, check whether things are working after each step where appropriate, before trying the next. (You may have tried some steps already)

1. Restart the Apple TV (Settings > General > Restart).
  2. Restart the Apple TV by removing ALL the cables for 30 seconds.
  3. Restart your router. (Also try removing it’s power cord for at least 30 seconds)
  4. Reset the Apple TV (Settings > General > Reset > Reset all settings)
  5. Restore the Apple TV (Settings > General > Reset > Restore)

Mar 30, 2015 8:43 AM in response to Winston Churchill

Tried all of the above again in order. I did the RESET ALL SETTINGS last. The issue is still there, and now I can't enter my WiFi password since it lost all of it's settings after the reset all settings lol. It is impossible to select letters when the cursor keeps moving all the way to the left, right, up, or down. I'm thinking the issue is something internal with the IR receiver, or something causing it to process commands wrong. Any other ideas?

Remote acting as if buttons are held down

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.