Apple Event: May 7th at 7 am PT

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

I have a virus that pops up

I have a Mac Pro OS X 10.7.5 with a virus which pops up takes over the screen and even has a voice telling me to call this number(1-888-205-3073).

I called the number and the person had a distorted voice which told me to take my compute to Best Buy to have it cleaned for $390.00. What can I do?

Stephen

Mac Pro, Mac OS X (10.6.8)

Posted on Mar 28, 2015 12:54 PM

4 replies

Mar 28, 2015 1:00 PM in response to sjohnson525

I doubt a virus, likely just a regular pop up. Do not call.

I would boot to Safe Mode

OS X: What is Safe Boot, Safe Mode?

and then

First try

Remove unwanted adware that displays pop-up ads and graphics on your Mac

Next:

Adwaremedic: Removes all known adware from your Mac

If you can't download it since the malware is preventing it then see:

https://discussions.apple.com/docs/DOC-7792

Mar 28, 2015 1:51 PM in response to sjohnson525

Snake oil salespeople. Never click on links in email, even some that purport to be from Apple iTunes that you need to reauthorize your account or update and fill out any forms. Often are called spear phishing email. And likely have an error, and if you hover over the link can see it is a fraud.

Keep your system current up to date, backed up, and "don't fall prey" to such unscrupulous web site scams. Probably avoid that one.

You can add a web site or keyword to your modem/router firewall and tell it to block given IP or a URL or a URL containing keyword "abcd" too.

Mar 29, 2015 8:35 AM in response to sjohnson525

sjohnson525 wrote:

I have a Mac Pro OS X 10.7.5 with a virus which pops up takes over the screen and even has a voice telling me to call this number(1-888-205-3073).

That is not caused by a virus, it's simply a scam pop-up in your web browser, caused by some bad site that you visited. For information on how to get rid of the message, as well as other information about the problem, see:

Tech support scam pop-ups

(Fair disclosure: I may receive compensation from links to my sites, TheSafeMac.com and AdwareMedic.com.)

I have a virus that pops up

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.