Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Why does Preview open everything

Every time I try to open something in Preview--say, I download a picture--it doesn't open JUST that one thing. It opens everything I've downloaded/opened in the past who knows how many days! It's really annoying, particularly because it makes Preview slow to operate. I've tried to look at services and preferences, I even looked at View and Edit. Nothing seems to pertain to this. It's incredibly annoying and I don't even see what purpose it could possibly serve. Is there a way to make it stop doing that, apart from always deleting everything, which seems like a step I shouldn't have to make. After all, does Pages open every document you've ever made every time you open it? Does Numbers? Does any app except this one? Drives me crazy.

Pages and iCloud-OTHER, Mac OS X (10.7.5)

Posted on Mar 28, 2015 12:36 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Mar 28, 2015 1:22 PM

Hello Tanya!

sorry if I'm going to say something really basic for you, but have you tried to close document by document before close Preview at all?

I mean, it would be interesting if you could close every single document by Cmd + W, and then close Preview with the usual Cmd+Q. If I'm not mistaken doing this, the photos or documents will not appear when you open Preview the next time

3 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Mar 28, 2015 1:22 PM in response to tanyafromapo

Hello Tanya!

sorry if I'm going to say something really basic for you, but have you tried to close document by document before close Preview at all?

I mean, it would be interesting if you could close every single document by Cmd + W, and then close Preview with the usual Cmd+Q. If I'm not mistaken doing this, the photos or documents will not appear when you open Preview the next time

Mar 28, 2015 1:28 PM in response to Murilo.mac

That did work. However, I still find that more than I should have to do. I do not always close each individual document when I'm using Numbers or Pages--sometimes I just "quit" that program to close it all, if I'm working on more than one document. But when I reopen that program, I do not see all those documents, I still have to actively open them. That's why, basic as this was, I never thought to do it, I didn't think I'd have to, I just figured it would do it for me. So thank you, this did "solve" the problem, but I wish it intuitively just did it without having to take that extra step. Oh well.

Why does Preview open everything

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.