Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Issues With Library.itl After Downgrading iTunes 12 to 11.4

Unfortunately, iTunes 12 has become completely useless.

So I just downgraded iTunes from the most recent version back to 11.4 using AppZapper and Pacifist. Everything worked like a charm and took only 10 minutes.

The one thing I was already predicting, though, is that, upon opening, iTunes 11 won't accept my iTunes Library.itl as it was created by a newer version.

The thing is, I haven't made a backup via Time Machine, or any backup for that matter. Is there any other way to link my recent Library.itl to iTunes 11?

The way I see it, the only thing I'd be able to keep is the actual media -- everything else would be gone, including all structures, settings, and stats. And -- much worse -- my playlists . . .

Any help is greatly appreciated!

Posted on Mar 28, 2015 11:48 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Mar 28, 2015 3:16 PM

It is not intended you revert. Two real options:

1a) Replace the .itl with one from a recent backup.

1b) Take the most recent "Previous iTunes library" in the iTunes folder marked with a date and rename it to iTunes Library.itl in the correct location and start iTunes with it.

In either of the above things will revert to the date of that library and any new media will have to be added (it will still be in your folder, it is just that iTunes will no longer know about it).

2) Rebuild your library by deleting the old .itl file, starting with a blank library and import the .xml. Things will be up to date but play count, date added, and ratings will reset.

11 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Mar 28, 2015 3:16 PM in response to janonymous

It is not intended you revert. Two real options:

1a) Replace the .itl with one from a recent backup.

1b) Take the most recent "Previous iTunes library" in the iTunes folder marked with a date and rename it to iTunes Library.itl in the correct location and start iTunes with it.

In either of the above things will revert to the date of that library and any new media will have to be added (it will still be in your folder, it is just that iTunes will no longer know about it).

2) Rebuild your library by deleting the old .itl file, starting with a blank library and import the .xml. Things will be up to date but play count, date added, and ratings will reset.

Mar 28, 2015 4:23 PM in response to Limnos

Thanks for the reply, Limnos.

1A) I don't have a backup.

1B & 2) I don't care about play counts, date added, or ratings. I DO care, however, about Description, Show, and Episode ID. As far as I know, those tags are also linked to the .itl file and would get lost in the process. Is that correct? Because losing those is not an option.

Mar 28, 2015 5:05 PM in response to janonymous

janonymous wrote:

1B & 2) I don't care about play counts, date added, or ratings. I DO care, however, about Description, Show, and Episode ID. As far as I know, those tags are also linked to the .itl file and would get lost in the process. Is that correct? Because losing those is not an option.

Whenever you update to a new version of iTunes,, iTunes copies the current iTunes library.itl into the Previous iTunes Libraries folder inside the iTunes folder and adds the date to that file.

Then iTunes runs and updates the current iTunes library.itl.

So as Limnos suggested, quit iTunes, copy the /Music/iTunes/Previous iTunes libraries/iTunes library YYYY-MM-DD.itl to /Music/iTunes/ and remove the date.

Then launch iTunes.

Since it is the iTunes library.itl, ALL the previous info you had will still be there.

Then backup your computer.

Mar 28, 2015 5:15 PM in response to Chris CA

Thanks, Chris.

Yeah, I know where to find those files and how to rename and replace them

But will the other info be safe (see my previous posts)?

Also, my most recent library would be iTunes Library 2014-10-17. How do I know if that'll work. As far as I'm informed, iTunes 12 was released on October 16, 2014. Does that mean it could already be a iTunes 12 backup, or does it mean it's the latest iTunes 11 backup available before updating to 12?

EDIT: Sorry, now I understand what you meant by "Whenever you update to a new version of iTunes,, iTunes copies the current iTunes library.itl into the Previous iTunes Libraries folder inside the iTunes folder and adds the date to that file."

The only question that remains: What happens to the files that have been modified between 2014-10-17 and today? What will go missing, and what will stay? Again, it's not the stats I'm worried about.

Thanks again for your help, guys. It's very much appreciated.

Mar 28, 2015 6:22 PM in response to janonymous

OK, so I did it anyway.

To whom it may concern:

All "non-permament" tags (info that is not written in the files but only linked to the iTunes library file) that had been added or modified since 2014-10-17, including Description, Show, Episode ID as well as all stats, including play counts, last played, ratings, and playlists, are lost.

Even though this means a lot of work, it's a price I'm willing to pay just to get rid of the unspeakable, which is iTunes 12.

Thank you guys!

Mar 28, 2015 8:52 PM in response to janonymous

janonymous wrote:

Also, how do I "import" the XML file, and what kind of information is in there? Again, I wouldn't mind losing stats, but I can't afford to lose "non-permanent" tags like Description and Episode ID as well as playlists.

I use a much, much older iTunes and do not have any shows. The best way to check .xml contents is to open it with a text editor and have a look.

Park the unwanted .itl somewhere and start iTunes. It will start with a blank library. I could tell you where the "import" command is in my iTunes 7.5 but it has probably moved, however I am sure some poking around on your part will find it.

Nov 1, 2015 4:44 AM in response to Chris CA

Thank you Chris - I have an 18.5MB .itl file in a "previous itunes library " which I started about 5 years ago - it is "linked" to 3TB of music that I tagged, etc. I have everything on an external drive to which I "Option" selected as the iTunes library. For the first time ever - after upgrading to the latest 12.3 - it won't open "created by newer version". I moved it to the top iTunes folder and renamed it as you suggest iTunes Library.itl. The iTunes opens and I see everything but the pinwheel keeps turning and its not finalizing the opening.

I have all backed up on four separate 4TB hard drives. I can still open some of the older .itl files when I connect one of the backup drives to an old computer which has a much older version of iTunes - it populates iTunes and works normally. Would be great to have it on the newest version of iTunes if possible. Thanks for your help!

Issues With Library.itl After Downgrading iTunes 12 to 11.4

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.