Want to highlight a helpful answer? Upvote!

Did someone help you, or did an answer or User Tip resolve your issue? Upvote by selecting the upvote arrow. Your feedback helps others! Learn more about when to upvote >

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Purchased music saga across multiple devices!! Oh and greyed out iTunes tracks!!

Ok, this has been bugging me for a while now! This post spans many common questions regarding the iTunes store, purchased music held within iCloud and how that purchased music relates to multiple iOS devices. I cannot work out how this is all supposed to fit together and I honestly believe there is some fundamental issues with either my account or the system as a whole. To explain I am going to use my iPhone 6 and my iPad Air 2nd generation to show you the current situation.

Ok, below is my iTunes store music purchases, as viewed in iTunes on my Mac Mini. 31 albums in total, some may not be full albums as it may have been a single that I bought from an album.

User uploaded file

Ok, both my iPhone and iPad are set to "Manually manage music and videos" in iTunes and all music has been deleted from them both via Settings > General > Usage > Manage Storage. There is ZERO music held on either device, neither manually moved there from iTunes or downloaded to the devices from my purchases in the cloud (the 31 albums above).

Ok, within Settings > Music on both devices, "Show All Music" is off. This should mean that if I go into the Music app on both devices, my device should show no content. My understanding is correct about this yes? Here is the result on each device.

iPad: This is to be expected ✅

User uploaded file

iPhone: Something is wrong here ⚠ (8 albums showing in total)

User uploaded fileUser uploaded file

None of the above can be swiped left to delete and all play while in airplane mode so they ARE stored locally! They may have been synced to the iPhone in the past via iTunes, however now they should not be there.

The questions here: Why are they on my iPhone? Why has the first album been split (if I add it manually to my iPad using iTunes then it goes on as one album)?

More importantly, how do I get rid of them? They don't show as present in iTunes when connected, they don't show in "Manage Storage" and I can't swipe left to delete.

Moving on! I will now turn on "Show All Music" on my iPad. I expect now to see all music purchased from the iTunes store, i.e. the 31 album's.

Nope! I now see 29 albums and 1 of those will be the split album so 28 in total. Where is the other 3 shown in iTunes purchases? Hang on, see below the first album? Professor Green! I bought that from iTunes come to think of it but it doesn't show as one of my 31 albums! The same can be said for the other 21 albums that now appear! 8 that seem to be stuck and 21 more when "Show All Music" is turned on. The 31 albums showing in my iTunes as purchases are nowhere to be seen!!

Also worth noting is that Cream Club Anthems 2012 is also split into 2 albums on my iPad displaying whats in iCloud so not just on the music that seems to be stuck on my iPhone. Sigh!

Ok, on my iPhone, when I turn on "Show All Music" i get the exact same 29 albums as shown above on my iPad.

So 2 issues based on this! My purchases in the cloud are not complete and have split one album, this is proved by my iPad showing no content when "Show All Music" is turned off. Second is that when I turn that setting off on my iPhone, I am left with albums on my device, despite all music being deleted and one of the "sticky" albums is split into 2 albums.

I will throw this one in too. "Show All Music" set to off and all music deleted by iTunes and swiping left on my iPhone. Connect to iTunes and have a look what is on my device! What the **** is all this crap? Can't be deleted and definitely not present on the device!

User uploaded file

Not good enough Apple. I have seen multiple threads with people asking questions relating to all the above and no one has given a comprehensive answer as to why this happens! I use Apple products exclusively now as everything is supposed to fit together seemlessly. As you can see from above, it just doesn't!

iPhone 6, iOS 8.2, null

Posted on Mar 28, 2015 12:04 PM

2 replies

Purchased music saga across multiple devices!! Oh and greyed out iTunes tracks!!

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.