Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

onedrive, Google plus photos, dropbox photos backup doesn't work automatically

hi all,

My 5s and iPad 2 (both running the latest 8.2) having the same problem. Those cloud backup photo apps only work when I open the app, slide down the screen to activate the refresh, then it will upload. More ridiculous is when the iphone/ iPad go to sleep and turn off the screen during the uploading, it will then stop until you wake it up. I am also using an android phone with these 3 apps installed, the backup photo feature is perfect, it's literately automatic once any wifi network is connected. That's why I think this is the problem of the iOS.

Is anyone can help me this issue?

Thanks in advance for any response.

iPhone 5s, iOS 8.2

Posted on Mar 28, 2015 11:03 AM

6 replies

Apr 1, 2015 11:12 AM in response to Lawrence Finch

Hi Lawrence, sorry for late response as I just see your reply. I don't know why I can't get the alert for any reply even I keep checking the spam folder of my mail box. Anyway, thanks for your advice. However, this background app refresh is always on since those apps had been installed, more, I enable everything on even on the privacy setting, the apps itself that's why I ask here. Isn't here anyone has the same problem but me only?

Apr 1, 2015 11:45 AM in response to lookgod88

There are probably other people that have the problem; with 700 million iPhones I can't imagine any problem that hasn't been seen more than once.

I've never noticed when content is actually synced, but I'm checking now. box.com, which is my primary cloud service, does not download an item until I open it. It then caches the item until the cache is full. By default the cache is 30% of available memory, but it can be set to other values. So sync TO the phone is not continuous.

Regarding stopping when the phone goes to sleep: WiFi is turned off 30 seconds after the phone goes to sleep to preserve the battery. So unless you have the option set to transfer data over the cellular network any uploads will stop.

Using iCloud the sync is always in real time, both ways. I use this constantly. It works for photos also.

If dropbox and google do not, that is a function of how the apps were implemented; it is not something that Apple controls. However, I just saved a photo to dropbox from the photo app and it synced immediately, even without opening the dropbox app on the phone I was able to view it on my Macbook. So you might want to check settings in the app. I don't use Google Drive so I can't test that.

onedrive, Google plus photos, dropbox photos backup doesn't work automatically

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.