Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

external speakers not found

Suddenly my MBP will not find/recognise my external speakers, they do not appear anywhere after working perfectly for months.

MacBook Pro (15-inch Mid 2012), OS X Yosemite (10.10)

Posted on Mar 28, 2015 12:41 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Mar 28, 2015 8:28 PM

okay, press the ctrl (or alt) key next to the spacebar and click on the speaker icon at the right hand top of your screen. Voila ! a list of all available audio inputs and outputs appears. set 'em to Line output, also if you go to "Audio MIDI" and get that running, you can see what the Line Output and Digital output have been set to. If it's something like 96000, it won't work. try 44100 or 48000, apply, then quit Audio MIDI and that should fix the problem, I hope

JB

6 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Mar 28, 2015 8:28 PM in response to devondumpling

okay, press the ctrl (or alt) key next to the spacebar and click on the speaker icon at the right hand top of your screen. Voila ! a list of all available audio inputs and outputs appears. set 'em to Line output, also if you go to "Audio MIDI" and get that running, you can see what the Line Output and Digital output have been set to. If it's something like 96000, it won't work. try 44100 or 48000, apply, then quit Audio MIDI and that should fix the problem, I hope

JB

Mar 29, 2015 1:11 PM in response to devondumpling

I'll try- you know what they say: smart answers cost money and take time, dumb looks are free

It's the picture that fills your monitor,. It might have a pretty background or not. towards the top right of your screen should be your hard drive icon

that is your Desktop. At the very very top of your screen, where you might see a magnifying glass icon, wifi icon, bluetooth icon, date and time, Time machine (if installed), all on the top left hand side, very top of your screen. That is where you should find a speaker icon, next to the date and time. User uploaded file (see image on the left)

if you press Apple(or windows) and the plus key on the keyboard, you can magnify the image so that you can see it correctly. Hopefully if you look at the top of your screen, it should look something like the picture I have attached, roughly. Pressing Apple and the minus ➖ key will shrink the image down to original size. If you have the sound output set on line out , or internal speakers, you should see the speaker icon at the top of the screen. If you have it set to digital out, you probably won't see it. I have my menu set to dark which makes it, for me, easier to see. (Apple menu, then System Preferences, then General, then "Use Dark menubar and dock") . As far as I know, this option wasn't available before. hopefully any of this stuff I've written here can help you out, devondumpling.

John B

Mar 30, 2015 8:53 AM in response to devondumpling

Thanks Johnb,

I"ve managed to get the speaker icon (actually quite by chance before your last post) but when I click on it it only shows internal speakers and my Airport. When I plug my USB speakers in they do not show up at all, they used to but not any more. I can't work it out, tried everything!! Thanks for your help, any more suggestions are welcome.

Mar 30, 2015 2:31 PM in response to devondumpling

Ah, okay-thanks for the info, devondumpling. this is why it's important to have as much info as possible before people can help you.

this is according to Apple- "go to Apple menu > System Preferences> Sound> Output> then select USB speakers. Open system information and make sure your speakers are selecte. If this doesn't wprk, check the info that came with your speakers.. If you know the maker of your speakers, go to their website and see if there's an updated driver. Also, go into "About this mac" then "system report" and see if the speakers are listed under sound/Audio. You may want to repair permssions in disk Utilty and check in Audio MIIDI what your sound output settings are. Your USB speakers should show up as an output device

Unfortunately, I don't know what make of usb speakers you have, so can't tell you if there is updated driver or not. other than that, reset the PRAM and the SMC.

sorry I can't help you any more

JB

external speakers not found

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.