Want to highlight a helpful answer? Upvote!

Did someone help you, or did an answer or User Tip resolve your issue? Upvote by selecting the upvote arrow. Your feedback helps others! Learn more about when to upvote >

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Internet Sharing not working

I've had this problem for about 5-6 months. My Mac SAYS it's sharing the internet, but on my iPod and LG phone they don't see the network. Sharing from Ethernet to AirPort.

Mac mini, Mac OS X (10.5.8)

Posted on Mar 28, 2015 11:53 AM

4 replies

Mar 28, 2015 3:10 PM in response to PokemonLover67

Internet sharing is a brief fill in for when a router fails and you buy the next one. It does not work well for anybody on any OS as a long term solution.

It is incredibly cheap to buy a proper ethernet router with wireless.. a few dollars if you want something that works. An old airport extreme from ebay for a few dollars will be able to handle your Mac and wireless.. without a fraction of the setup problems. It is designed to do exactly this job.

If you really MUST use the Mac with Internet Sharing.. tell us what Mac and what OS.

I am never sure if profile equipment is correct.

Mac mini, Mac OS X (10.5.8)

Whatever the current setup is.. remove it.. reboot the computer and start over.

It is never a simple straight forward kind of operation.

Mar 29, 2015 2:25 PM in response to PokemonLover67

My experience on Mac only goes back to 10.6 so I feel like I am limited to snow and later..

But I have had loads of experience on computers and networks.. and setting up ICS is one thing I swear to never do again.. source a wireless router.. $10 from your local garage sale.. pawn shop.. salvation army savers store.. anything.. it can be setup in wan bypass to provide ethernet to the computer and wireless to the whatever.. and it was designed to do it.. ICS is like this great idea gone wrong.

Internet Sharing not working

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.