Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

How can I manage songs between libraries?

Hi,

I would like to have a library with my current songs that is located on my internal hard drive and another library for old songs that I rarely play that would be located on an external hard drive. I think holding down the shift key while opening iTunes will allow me to create a new library and allow me to select which library I want to use with iTunes after I have two libraries. How can I move songs from the current songs library to the old songs library and vice versa? I haven't found anything to address this topic in my searches. Is what I'm asking possible?

Gary

Windows 8

Posted on Mar 28, 2015 2:36 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Mar 28, 2015 2:38 PM

Load the desired library, locate the song files, and drag them to the library in the open iTunes application window.

(125038)

3 replies

Mar 28, 2015 7:05 PM in response to GGibas45

How can I move songs from the current songs library to the old songs library and vice versa? I haven't found anything to address this topic in my searches. Is what I'm asking possible?

Gary

Gary,

iTunes does not really have any concept of "moving a song from one library to another." If you have a song in one library, you can make a copy of the song file, place it in the new location (the external in your case), and add it to the second library. You can then (optionally) delete the track from the first library.

How can I manage songs between libraries?

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.