Want to highlight a helpful answer? Upvote!

Did someone help you, or did an answer or User Tip resolve your issue? Upvote by selecting the upvote arrow. Your feedback helps others! Learn more about when to upvote >

Newsroom Update

Apple is introducing a new Apple Watch Pride Edition Braided Solo Loop, matching watch face, and dynamic iOS and iPadOS wallpapers as a way to champion global movements to protect and advance equality for LGBTQ+ communities. Learn more >

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Syncing my iphone 5C to my backed-up content from iphone 4S

I just got a new iphone 5C and want to transfer my backed-up content from my old iphone 4S onto it (my messages, contacts, notes ect.)

I set up the 5C like any iphone start up, but when it came to the choice to start as new iphone, back up from icloud or back up from itunes it told me to plug it into my computer so it could connect to iTunes as i wanted to back it up from there.

I did this, selected 'back up from iphone 4s' as apposed to 'new iphone'

It then said: "The back up "Iphone 4S" cannot be restored to this iPhone because the software on the iPhone is too old."

I thought that this meant update the itunes, so I did that and tried to restore is back but the same error came up,

I'm totally stuck as my 4S is not cancelled so I cant send or receive calls/messages and I can't get into my new iphone 5C as it keeps coming up with this error

Please help, Thank you

iPhone 5c

Posted on Mar 28, 2015 1:54 PM

1 reply

Mar 31, 2015 10:16 AM in response to Rhub4rd

Hi Rhub4rd,

What that alert means is that your iPhone 5c does not have a newer version of iOS on it to support that back up of your iPhone 4s. To get passed this you would need to update your iPhone 5c to the latest version to then restore from the back up you made with iTunes. Take a look at the articles below for more information to get you started and where you want to be with getting your information to your new iPhone.

iOS: Unable to restore from backup of a newer device

https://support.apple.com/en-us/HT203434

Back up and restore your iPhone, iPad, or iPod touch using iCloud or iTunes

https://support.apple.com/en-us/HT203977

Take it easy,

-Norm G.

Syncing my iphone 5C to my backed-up content from iphone 4S

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.